Did you mean: 

foreign transaction fees, and other randoms like LS and that AMEX

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Re: foreign transaction fees, and other randoms like LS and that AMEX

@bribro wrote:

@calogan wrote:

Another vote for Chase Sapphire Preferred here.

You can sign up with the 40,000k point bonus promotion currently going on which nets you $400 (or ~$500 of airfare/travel booked through their rewards site).

$400 sign up bonus, no foreign transaction fees, 1% back on all purchases, and 2% back on airfare, hotel, and all restaurants more than makes up for the $95 annual fee. Also the fee is waived for the first year.

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card/

You forgot about the most important feature of the CSP: It's partially made of metal, so all the Starbucks baristas will comment on the coolness of your card, which makes you feel special.

I'm of course being facetious. Another highly useful feature of the CSP is the ability to transfer points 1:1 to airline partners. With Southwest, for example, points are worth ~2x the cashback equivalent.

The clerk about my wine shop keeps mentioning how much more the card weighs when I stop in every other Saturday.

Message 11 of 18
quest208
Frequent Contributor

whoa, a metal card.  i want one

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 12 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Capital One cards and Discover (recently) have no surcharges, good luck using Discover overseas although I've heard they are trying to expand their overseas acceptance. 

Message 13 of 18
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Me thinks they will get you in the exchange rate. They will get their cut, either way. 

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 14 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

Me thinks they will get you in the exchange rate. They will get their cut, either way. 

+1

I don't disagree on the less than favorable exchange rate, but at least there is no line item additional surcharge on top of the exchange.

Message 15 of 18
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

+1

I don't disagree on the less than favorable exchange rate, but at least there is no line item additional surcharge on top of the exchange.

I agree with you. Those 2-3% rates can be exhorbitant and at least those can be avoided. The exchange rate difference won't be as high (unless they're specifically looking to make up lost fees).

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 16 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

+1

I agree with you. Those 2-3% rates can be exhorbitant and at least those can be avoided. The exchange rate difference won't be as high (unless they're specifically looking to make up lost fees).

I've never seen a Chase ForEx rate conversion with a spread greater than 0.2%. It's about as cheap as you can get.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing you have to be very careful, just read about this on flyertalk, is absolutely never let a foreign country cashier charge your card in US Dollars.

Several of the members on that other board mentioned that when they would stay at hotels, restaurants, and the like most of the time the cashier or clerk attempted to charge their card in US Dollars. The currency exchange rate on those dynamic currency conversions (DCC) is very unfavorable. You get a much better deal by paying in local currency, and even more a lot of banks will use the best rate on the days from the time you made the charge, until it cleared.

Of course when they complained and asked to be charged in the local currency, the cashier tried to talk them out of it saying it was "For their convenience" to have the charge in US Dollars. Not true. Since running the charge in US dollars gives the customer an unfavorable exchange rate, it is only better for the merchant. The US dollar charge might also have a foreign transaction fee apply depending on the bank issuing the card.

It is also a violation of the Visa or mastercard agreement to force a charge on a customer in one currency. When traveling international you must be given the option to pay in local currency.

Always pay using local currency on your card when traveling international, you always get a better rate.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.