Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

found a nice trick to keep unused credit cards open

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: found a nice trick to keep unused credit cards open

@baller4life wrote:

I would load Amazon every 6 months just to be on the safe side.

@Berk unused as in no activity on the card at all. Some lenders will close cards for inactivity. So this trick creates activity.

Exactly! So you USE the card to keep the UNUSED card active. Now I get it!

Message 11 of 20
Berk
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I have all 17 of my major active CC's set up on amazon and make sure i put 5 on each of the not used ones every few months.  Best way as don't have to leave the house.

Too much work for me. Every once in a while I'll get an email saying a card was closed for inactivity. I look at credit cards like I look at clothes - if I have clothes in my closet that I haven't worn for a year or so down to Goodwill they go. If I have a credit card I'm not using and it closes - oh well. Get enough of em to close and I can go on another app spree!

That reminds me - time to update my profile.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think people over stress the unused CC issue. I didn't use my BoFA card for 1.5 years and there wasn't an issue. My buddy has a Capital One card that hasn't been used in 6 years and it's still active. I think it's yearS before most lenders will close out a CC for inactivity.
Message 13 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I have all 17 of my major active CC's set up on amazon and make sure i put 5 on each of the not used ones every few months.  Best way as don't have to leave the house.

Perfect for those sd cards you don't want to be closed. 😉

Message 14 of 20
Berk
Established Contributor

Yeah, I had a Kohl's card that I didn't use for 5 or 6 years. Capital One finally closed it. I had forgotten all about it until I got the email.

Message 15 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think people over stress the unused CC issue. I didn't use my BoFA card for 1.5 years and there wasn't an issue. My buddy has a Capital One card that hasn't been used in 6 years and it's still active. I think it's yearS before most lenders will close out a CC for inactivity.

This is true. However, some lenders do close cards sooner than that. Synchrony is notorious for this. I have seen Barclays close as well in less than a yr. Some people like to keep their older tradelines or those with hefty limits open. But, dont use them. This is a good alternative. To each it's own tho.

Message 16 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Berk wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Too much work for me. Every once in a while I'll get an email saying a card was closed for inactivity. I look at credit cards like I look at clothes - if I have clothes in my closet that I haven't worn for a year or so down to Goodwill they go. If I have a credit card I'm not using and it closes - oh well. Get enough of em to close and I can go on another app spree!

That reminds me - time to update my profile.

most of my cards serve some time of purpose..  Just an example which i dont have anymore is my Amex platinum... Horrible for normal spend, but great for the "parks" .. Granted they arent going to close a 450 AF card on a personSmiley Happy.. I agree I have given up at least 5 of my cards, but as I get lower being 17 I find it harder to close them for one reason or another.  4 Amex's use them all for either storing MR's or Cash or business credit. 3 Chase cards 2 are UR's CSP/Freedom and Ritz is pseudo travel card and that is 7 right there alone.  Don't forget blispay 2% 0% financing for 6 months, fidelity 2% normal card and you see where I am going.. Most of my cards serve a purpose, but a few are more so rare than others one being my Marvel MC.. Got the best rate for that and a niche card i will use for theme parks or movies or possibly amazon if SM ever gets nerfedm etc so i keep that one around vs. cancelling.

Message 17 of 20
keisham320
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband's BofA MLB card closed after 1 year of inactivity....I guess there's no rhyme or reason when dealing with BofA and how they treat inactive cards..

Message 18 of 20
negg
Frequent Contributor

Last week I went to 7-11 and bought a .69 water.  That's first time I've used the card in 15 months.  I know it's still active cause I get 2 letters a week offering BT or opening a new card.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the share OP.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.