@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

boo oh well guess i will have to goto supermarket to max out my 5% quarter. 

@Anonymous GC @ Kroger? Smiley Happy

500 dollar visa GC probably 

Amazingly enough, I am not planning to do this, using it to buy $500 WholeFoods gift cards.   Me, MS?  Never

You think that will probably cause an account closure? maybe i should transfer the 15k signup bonus first then start abusing the card afterwards before they can take away all my points. 

No, it just makes more sense for me (as well as a massive saving of nearly $18!) as these are no fee and I will use, so no liquidation issues.

i just want to get all the spending done so i can still trasnfer to BA with 40% trasnfer bonus, and i can liquidate them via RB loading. I probably will lose an few bucks on it but i think i can make it up on transfer to ba . 

Yes but by liquidating via RB, You can shop at Target and get 5% addtl.

I will have to think this through, i am not going to make an rash decision while i am still po'ed. I should calmly think this through. I was pretty close to downgrading my EDP to ED today. And pretty darn close to just telling the lady close out all my amex accounts. 

What did AMEX do to you?

there is another thread about how amex is trying to stiff me on the amazon prime offer for signing up for everyday preferred. They claim the offer was never offered to me even though i have email stating i had convesation back in oct about me qualifying for that offer. That is why i am thinking max out groceries for the MR and transferring to BA for 40% transfer bonus. Then closing out all my amex cards out. 

Ah, the same way they stiffed the wife on her PRG bonus.

Out of curiosity, were you instantly approved?

What happened with DW and the PRG bonus?  Did she end up getting it?

They are dragging their feet on it, slow response despite multiple escalation.

Message 81 of 90
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: freedom 5% groceries

Ugh. May just keep only one Amex.
Signature needs updating
Message 82 of 90
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

I don't feel like reading 9 pages to see if this was ever answered, but I went shopping at a neighborhood wally yesterday, where I get the grocery category on my sallie mae and bofa 321 (so the store is definitely coded as a grocery store), and paid with my freedom. I'll let you guys know whether I get the bonus points as soon as the charge posts =]

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 83 of 90
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

I don't feel like reading 9 pages to see if this was ever answered, but I went shopping at a neighborhood wally yesterday, where I get the grocery category on my sallie mae and bofa 321 (so the store is definitely coded as a grocery store), and paid with my freedom. I'll let you guys know whether I get the bonus points as soon as the charge posts =]

I think on chase site it states that walmart and target don't count , but i think its YMMV situation since its done by how its coded on purchase. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 84 of 90
axxy
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

I think on chase site it states that walmart and target don't count , but i think its YMMV situation since its done by how its coded on purchase. 

In this thread others say they already tried it at Walmarts that were coded as groceries and didn't get the 5%.  So it's not just how it's coded.

Message 85 of 90
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Of course its not just how its coded. Chase explicitly stated it doesn't include them. So it doesn't. I don't know why you'd bother trying. They'll do what they have to do to ensure you don't get the extra points if they said its excluded.
Message 86 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Of course its not just how its coded. Chase explicitly stated it doesn't include them. So it doesn't. I don't know why you'd bother trying. They'll do what they have to do to ensure you don't get the extra points if they said its excluded.

Because history. Sometimes things they specifically said would not count end up counting. The banks use automated algorithms to determine what counts and what does not, and sometimes they mess it up. 

Message 87 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Because history. Sometimes things they specifically said would not count end up counting. The banks use automated algorithms to determine what counts and what does not, and sometimes they mess it up. 

That is correct!  Just like when Discover says that to get credit at their portal you HAVE to use their card, well 95% of the time that is NOT true, despite that they write the warning in big and in small print.  Of course, the 5% that is true is kind of infuriating....  BUT, I am all for experimentation, it's the only way to know for sure.

Message 88 of 90
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

Confirmed to not be working, despite that my neighborhood wally is coded as grocery and always gets the bonus with my bofa 321, amex bce, and sallie mae. Poo.

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not true, there are many cards that explicitly exclude stores like Walmart and Target from the grocery category but still give the bonus if the stores are coded as such.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 89 of 90
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even the places where it does end up working its not across the board. Its only some locations.
Message 90 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.