Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freedom 5% groceries

tag
jaraico
Regular Contributor

freedom 5% groceries

So i know the website explicitly states that the 5% does not pertain to walmart, but so does my amex cash but....if i go to a neighborhood walmart my amex card allows me to receive the extra cash back in the supermarket category.

Does anyone know if this trick works on the freedom as well?

Thank you

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 1 of 90
89 REPLIES 89
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: freedom 5% groceries

The only way to know is to try and see what it comes up as.
Message 2 of 90
jaraico
Regular Contributor

went back a few statements and found a transaction from a neighborhood walmart and nope only 1 point per dollar=[ wahhh oh well....

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 3 of 90
NRB525
Super Contributor

@jaraico wrote:

went back a few statements and found a transaction from a neighborhood walmart and nope only 1 point per dollar=[ wahhh oh well....

One point on AMEX, or Freedom?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 90
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@jaraico wrote:

I am not sure how that helps.  The Freedom's 5% just started on 01/15, so the 1% point per dollar from a few statements back, is as expected.

Message 5 of 90
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@jaraico wrote:

It's not a trick.  Neighborhood Walmarts are coded differently for AmEx.  No idea with the Freedom.  The site simply states that Walmart and Target are excluded but typically this sort of thing all depends on the coding.

Message 6 of 90
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Walmart and Target are excluded from the Jan to March 5% back on groceries. They have a list of the stores included. You get 1% back only at Wally and target.

Message 7 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaraico wrote:

So i know the website explicitly states that the 5% does not pertain to walmart, but so does my amex cash but....if i go to a neighborhood walmart my amex card allows me to receive the extra cash back in the supermarket category.

Thank you

My guess would be that the Freedom goes by mcc code. Interestingly, the Visa supplier webpage says my local target is coded as a grocery store. I might go buy a candy bar and see if it gets me 5%. This would be mostly as a curiosity, since my local Trader Joe's is cheaper than Target. 

Message 8 of 90
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jaraico wrote:

Thank you

My guess would be that the Freedom goes by mcc code. Interestingly, the Visa supplier webpage says my local target is coded as a grocery store. I might go buy a candy bar and see if it gets me 5%. This would be mostly as a curiosity, since my local Trader Joe's is cheaper than Target. 

Freedom usually does go by MCC code, but the question is whether Chase are doing extra checks for this promotion.   Clearly for Starbucks they are looking at the actual vendor and not just the MCC, and so could equally easily exclude Target and Walmart.

Needs an experiment, and even that might not transfer to other Target/Walmarts.

Message 9 of 90
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Since they explicitly state it does not include Target and Walmart, I'd say that even if the coding isn't an issue, Chase will be looking for these transactions and not giving the 5% anyway. They really don't have to, since they did state those stores are not included, regardless of how it ends up being coded.

Message 10 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.