cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

from CapOne Platinum to American Express Platinum - thanks myfico.

tag
aamex
Frequent Contributor

from CapOne Platinum to American Express Platinum - thanks myfico.

I wanted to thank everyone on myfico for allowing me to stalk these boards and giving great testimonials and tips from their cc experiences. Because of this I've become pretty saavy at managing my card portfolio and now I'm sure I have all the cards I desire. And I will seriously and probably permanently be doing this gardening thing starting this month.

I applied for the Amex Platinum (my previous post) today and was instantly approved. Basically, I had the app itch but didn't want to close a card account because the platinum makes it useless. That was my delimna I've never closed an account before, but now that I know once my installment paid off reports that it will reflect as being "closed". I figured...what the heck, might as well.

So here's how my journey went... 

Capital One Platinum - unforunately I applied for this card just before I joined the forum. Oldest account and I don't have the guts to close it. 09/10

previous to applying to CapOne it seems like I could get a credit card to save my life. I was 19 and the new credit card rules were coming into effect. So between here and my next card I waited and let my inquiries fall off. Felt like I had a million.

American Express PR Gold - closing. 01/11

I feel like this card really taught me discipline when it came to using credit and paying every 30 days. Also, it set my expectations up for how I should be treated as a customer.

Barclays Reward Mastercard - Utilities, Recent PC then an automatic credit limit.  05/11 (Originally apple financing visa)

I was approved for this card while going to buy a new computer. Took advantage of all of the 0% promotions but only for like a month or so because I was just starting to understand the value that not reporting balances adds to your score.

American Express Blue Cash - Groceries/Back up shopping Card. 10/11

Lol, I only really pushed to get this card because it seems everyone on the forum was being approved and it was new. (confession). THANKS FOR THE PEER PRESSURE.

Discover More - Online Shopping, Phone/Cable Bill 12/11

Ideally I felt have a Discover, American Express, Visa, and Mastercard was the benefical thing because acceptance is so variable and at this point in my short credit card career I didn't want to not be getting rewards for anything. I applied for Discover and they are easily one of my favorites.

Chase Sapphire - Travel and Food 2/12

As I wrote earlier, I started to value customer service on my second card. Especially once you've had Capital One..lol I love this card for the fact that I can pick up the phone and get someone right away. That for me is worth the annual fee. Also, it makes me look at carrying plastic differently.

American Express Platinum - Travel 3/12

This is my latest and hopefully greatest card. 

I feel like platinum is my last stop and most all my cards exluding the capone platinum and blue cash serve a good purpose. Wish I could do pictures of my plastic lol...

A few key takeaways I have from this forum -

"Credit is a marathon not a sprint"

"Life is what happens when you're busy planning"

"Every card has a job and every card does its job"

- edited after LS's comment: hopefully i can be example for anyone rebuilding or starting out. 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: from CapOne Platinum to American Express Platinum - thanks myfico.

@aamex wrote:

I wanted to thank everyone on myfico for allowing me to stalk these boards and giving great testimonials and tips from their cc experiences. Because of this I've become pretty saavy at managing my card portfolio and now I'm sure I have all the cards I desire. And I will seriously and probably permanently be doing this gardening thing starting this month.

I applied for the Amex Platinum (my previous post) today and was instantly approved. Basically, I had the app itch but didn't want to close a card account because the platinum makes it useless. That was my delimna I've never closed an account before, but now that I know once my installment paid off reports that it will reflect as being "closed". I figured...what the heck, might as well.

So here's how my journey went... 

Capital One Platinum - unforunately I applied for this card just before I joined the forum. Oldest account and I don't have the guts to close it. 09/10

American Express PR Gold - closing. 01/11

Barclays Reward Mastercard - Utilities, Recent PC then an automatic credit limit.  05/11 (Originally apple financing visa)

American Express Blue Cash - Groceries/Back up shopping Card. 10/11

Discover More - Online Shopping, Phone/Cable Bill 12/11

Chase Sapphire - Travel and Food 2/12

American Express Platinum - Travel 3/12

I feel like platinum is my last stop and most all my cards exluding the capone platinum and blue cash serve a good purpose. Wish I could do pictures of my plastic lol...

Congrats my friend!! You've had a very nice journey so far and all of our new members coming into the rebuilding journey should pay attention to how you made it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

aamex.....

what were your scores from start to finish....

Message 3 of 8
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

aamex.....

what were your scores from start to finish....

This is a tough one because I didnt pull my real fico at the beginning. But, I'm pretty sure I had a 630 or 640 EX (lender pull) just starting out.. this is probably just after the CapOne because I wanted to get a new car.

Reason being I have 1 30 day late payment from 3 months after I got my first installment in 2009 (just pure youthful neglect). Which is why in 2010 my score was that low, and now in 2012..I imagine it doesn't even matter with perfect history for the last 3 years. 

In october my Blue Cash came with a 713 EX

In december my Discover came with a 734 TU

My equifax is clean. no inquires. I will update when I get my platinum in 2-3 days?

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 4 of 8
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

thanks for the info.......you've done great....

Message 5 of 8
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

thanks for the info.......you've done great....

Thank you, I edited the post to make it more clear.

Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! You've made great progress in just about a year and a half. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 8
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Congrats! You've made great progress in just about a year and a half. Smiley Happy

Thanks! Now time to buckle down and garden.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.