Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frozen reports and CC's

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: frozen reports and CC's

It sounds like you need to opt-out if you want to prevent pre-approvals, etc. I opted out and haven't gotten any since. My repts aren't frozen, however, so I can get HPs. Ins co's soft you, as do pre-approvals, so maybe that's why those are exempt from the credit freeze. Even if you're opted out, though, you can still get softed if you're shopping for insurance. Those are co's that you've given yr info to, so it may be different than just getting a mass pre-approval list from the CRBs.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 21 of 28
daveg38
Established Contributor

Wish that security freezes stopped collection inquiries and other baddies from coming on your report...  Smiley Sad

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Platinum wrote:

The message number 14 says it all. Please look at it. The source of the information is Equifax. Read the last underlined sentence. This is from their website:

From Equifax website about security freeze:

*Included with selected monitoring products. Locking your credit file with Equifax Credit Report Control will prevent access to your Equifax credit file by certain third parties, such as credit grantors or other companies and agencies. Credit Report Control will not prevent access to your credit file at any other credit reporting agency, and will not prevent access to your Equifax credit file by companies like Equifax Personal Solutions which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score or monitor your credit file; Federal, state and local government agencies; companies reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe for fraud detection and prevention purposes; and companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you.

So, if I'm reading that correctly, a freeze does NOT prevent companies such as creditors and insurance companies from softing you?

I'm glad I'm opted out and all my reports are froze.

I guess if you don't want to see those softs and not receive firm offers for credit or insurance, you should opt out as well.

Message 23 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

The message number 14 says it all. Please look at it. The source of the information is Equifax. Read the last underlined sentence. This is from their website:

*Included with selected monitoring products. Locking your credit file with Equifax Credit Report Control will prevent access to your Equifax credit file by certain third parties, such as credit grantors or other companies and agencies. Credit Report Control will not prevent access to your credit file at any other credit reporting agency, and will not prevent access to your Equifax credit file by companies like Equifax Personal Solutions which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score or monitor your credit file; Federal, state and local government agencies; companies reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe for fraud detection and prevention purposes; and companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you.

So, if I'm reading that correctly, a freeze does NOT prevent companies such as creditors and insurance companies from softing you?

I guess if you don't want to see those softs and not receive firm offers for credit or insurance, you should opt out as well.

This sounds like the lock feature that EQ CMS provides and not an actual security freeze. I may be wrong.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 28
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

so i froze my reports for nothing
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:
so i froze my reports for nothing

Hi afbar,

I just reread this entire thread and Member AndyK has stated that placing a freeze on your reports will not only prevent you from apping for further credit (without lifting the freeze) but by placing a freeze on your reports also prevents creditors or insurance companies you have no relationship with from sending you pre-approved offers for credit etc.....with the exception of your CURRENT creditors, your current creditors can still send you offers, but no one else can, because the freeze prevents the CRA's from giving your info to 3rd party creditors and insurance companies etc.....

So if this is what you were looking to accomplish, you did the right thing.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

This sounds like the lock feature that EQ CMS provides and not an actual security freeze. I may be wrong.

Hey LSSmiley Happy

I have this feature with EQ, my CMS with EQ is called ID Patrol and it locks my report, and I can lock or unlock it any time I want, and I have to choose the time period I want it unlocked.

I called and spoke to a EQ rep before going with this service, and I asked if this "lock" feature is the same as a freeze in every way, and I was told yes it is, was I misinformed?

Message 27 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

Hey LSSmiley Happy

I have this feature with EQ, my CMS with EQ is called ID Patrol and it locks my report, and I can lock or unlock it any time I want, and I have to choose the time period I want it unlocked.

I called and spoke to a EQ rep before going with this service, and I asked if this "lock" feature is the same as a freeze in every way, and I was told yes it is, was I misinformed?

I don't think they are the same. Hopefully a myFICO expert can chime in on this. I think a security freeze blocks access to more parties than EQ's ID Patrol.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.