Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gardening questions...

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

gardening questions...

im in the the garden now and i can see myself here for next year or so. i no longer need any new cards or credit. i feel like my set of cards are fine CL's are a little low but i can deal with it since i have AMEX as well. my question is should i worry about UTL during gardening as i am not apping for any cards. when/if i do plan on getting new cards before i app or request a CLI i will make sure i have down to 9%. i just plan on using the cards daily and not try to worry about anything. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: gardening questions...

There is no need to worry about utilization if you're not applying for anything or in a situation where your report will be pulled.  The possible exception is if you max out your cards, which can trigger adverse action; however, just making rational payments and not letting the balances accrue unnecessarily and it will not be a problem.

The FICO algorithm has no memory of past utilization.  That said, it may be an advantage to let some balances acrue somewhat over time from an underwriting perspective, as with the data reported to the CRA's, they could rebuild one's historical balances if they so desired to judge your profitability.  

        
Message 2 of 13
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Thanks. Rught now i try to keep at about 30%-40%. I dont plan on using more the 50% on boa and chase. Other cards are low so that should help. I also may not worry about my reports for now. Keep SW still just for a few months and not be so obssed with everything
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any util over 25% will hurt your score, but you already said you are gardening.  I am going to bring my util down to 5% range before I go on another app spree.  As for letting the company measure profitability, I throw them a bone a couple times a year.  I will charge something and pay it off in two installments instead of one.  They get to charge me the minimum interest charge and show a little profit.  This logic has helped me when it comes to my GEMB accounts, at least so far.

Message 4 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I think that's an excellent plan.

If you want something amusing that you can probably do as you have a bunch of new tradelines too: watch your balances and track them against your monthly FICO.  In my case, with the slew of tradelines I established in Dec/Jan to kick my thin-file status to the curb, the payment history, marginal increase in AAoA, and fading inquiries are all combining to overshadow my increasing balances as I've been floating my life through my cards while my invoicing gets sorted.  If my score goes up on this month's balances where I suspect my overall utl will be around 45% (up from 27%) it'll be even more laughable than it has for the past two months of increasing scores.

        
Message 5 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As for letting the company measure profitability, I throw them a bone a couple times a year.  I will charge something and pay it off in two installments instead of one.  They get to charge me the minimum interest charge and show a little profit. 

The bank makes a profit off of your card use just by your use of the card.  They earn a percentage of every transaction that you make.  I agree that some banks want to see a certain amount of current usage to justify giving a CLI, but maybe its just because those banks don't pay attention to the accounts and don't really look much at the payments made or the transactions, only the statement balances and the current balance.  ie: to them it looks like the card is unused and why should the bank risk giving out additional credit for someone who doesn't even use his/her card.)  Household is like this.  I requested a CLI every week for about 3 months while my balance and statement were at $0 at was denied every time due to "ACCOUNT UTILIZATION".   Then one month I did my normal charges and instead of paying it before requesting a CLI, I left a 35% balance and THEN requested CLI.  Instantly approved for an increase, and then I payed my balance to leave $0 before the statement date.  Some banks are strange like that.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@appbar1114 wrote:

im in the the garden now and i can see myself here for next year or so. i no longer need any new cards or credit. i feel like my set of cards are fine CL's are a little low but i can deal with it since i have AMEX as well. my question is should i worry about UTL during gardening as i am not apping for any cards. when/if i do plan on getting new cards before i app or request a CLI i will make sure i have down to 9%. i just plan on using the cards daily and not try to worry about anything. 

@LMAO @ the name change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 13
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

thanks for all the info. so for now im not gonna really worry about alot for now

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this include Amex. I just opened BCP with a 0% and planned on carrying a large balance on the card.  After reading Amex frowns on this I am leary of AA.

Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this include Amex. I just opened BCP with a 0% and planned on carrying a large balance on the card.  After reading Amex frowns on this I am leary of AA.

It mostly includes any lender: I wouldn't max out any card unless I had no choice financially.  A large balance of 10K on a 15K CL isn't really an issue... just be making more than the minimum payments.  I've heard that some lenders like seeing at least 6x the minimum payment on large balances, but there's nothing concrete.

I wouldn't worry about it overly much.

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.