Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get rid of cap one

tag
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

get rid of cap one

not sure what to do here.

I have a cap one platinum since 2000 and a 2900 CL. They will NOT let it go any higher  (they did reduce apr to 9.9)

I have a second cap one platinum since 2005 with a 750 CL which also they will not increase  (apr is 14.9)

I am tired of the "sorry we have no other programs for you" and they would not put me into a venture card

Should I drop these guy and apply somewhere else?

utilization is under 5%

TU is 698, EQ is 710 and EX is 721

These score will rise slightly as I just paid off all my card

comments

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: get rid of cap one

That's 11 years worth of history on the first card, which is very nice for your AAoA. Is there any AF? If there is, can you get them to waive it? If it winds up costing you nothing to keep it, I'd say hang onto it for AAoA. Just use it once every couple of months for something small and SD it. Or, use it for a small recurring charge and set it up with your bank's autopay.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 8
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Is there an annual fee associated with either account? If so, and the card is not used, then cancelling may be the right option.

If there is no annual fee associated with the card, then there is no reason to cancel the card. Use it for a small transaction once a month to keep it active, or setup a recurring bill to hit it. Keeping it open doesn't cost you anything and keep an open, $0 balance trade line on your CR, which only helps you.

From what I understand, the capital one platinum card is a credit builder card that has a hard cap on the limit they will give you. It sounds like you have 2 of the same card, which is most likely why you can't get an increase... the total line between the two cards is already at the cap.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
thebanjoman
Contributor

any older/other accounts? any annual fees?  rough idea of how much other credit limit you have in total?

Message 4 of 8
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

Here is the break down of my credit

Cap 1 Plat  with 2900 CL and a monthly service fee of $5.00  (owe $89)

Cap 1 Plat with 750 CL no AF  PIF

First Premier with 1200 CL PIF  has $59 AF    Had since 2006

HSBC with 2500 CL PIF   has $59 AF               Had since 2004

Targer card with 500CL   PIF                              Has since 2007

3 inquiries total in the last 2 years

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aleicgrant wrote:

Cap 1 Plat  with 2900 CL and a monthly service fee of $5.00  (owe $89)

WoW I never know cap1 ever charge such an atrocious fee like that.

Is your EX clean of derogatory items? If it is, I think it's time to go hunting for prime cards.

Message 6 of 8
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

I have one 30 day late with cap 1 in 11 years and it was due to a bank error. They will not remove it

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aleicgrant wrote:

I have one 30 day late with cap 1 in 11 years

When did it happen? If it was more than 3 years ago, I think you have good chance with amex charge card, boa.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.