Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting burned on ebay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

getting burned on ebay

Getting burned by the buyer on eBay for some camera stuff I sold. I'm curious how Amex is with disputes? All my eBay fees and all the other garbage eBay is going to throw on there automatically goes on my Amex card. I'm trying to get it solved through eBay first but they seem to automatically side with the buyer no matter what. Amex may be my last chance not to be out of some money.

Either way I'm closing out my 12 year eBay account after this. I've had enough and the fees make it not worth it on top of the other bs they put you through.

I've never had to dispute anything with Amex before.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: getting burned on ebay

I don't know the extent of the eBay dispute but 99.9% of the time eBay will side with the buyer. You could charge back everything with Amex (I don't have Amex but they seem customer friendly to disputes) but that'll probably end your eBay/PayPal relationship with the chargeback (of course if you don't care to sell there anymore anyway...). Sorry to hear you're getting screwed though. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I've had my Ebay account 14 years and I know the feeling... I quit selling a while back.  The fees are a joke and they always side with the buyer.

I had a non-paying bidder last year who ended up wasting 2 full weeks of my time while I was forced to give him time to pay... etc... etc...  never again.

Good luck with your dispute.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the dispute directly with ebay or paypal? I don't sell on ebay, but I do allow paypal as payment for my store and have some experience with AMEX chargebacks as a seller. I know that AMEX does not have the same Visa or MC restrictions regarding time limits of filing chargebacks AMEX allows a crazy amout of time I believe up to 6 months. Paypal sided with the buyer however AMEX sided with me in the end and the fees were reversed and I was given my money back. So I believe AMEX does a thorough investigation and is fair. Just provide all of your proof in fact if AMEX feels the buyer intentionally tried to commit fraud I have been told they can have their cards possibly cancelled.

@Anonymous wrote:
Getting burned by the buyer on eBay for some camera stuff I sold. I'm curious how Amex is with disputes? All my eBay fees and all the other garbage eBay is going to throw on there automatically goes on my Amex card. I'm trying to get it solved through eBay first but they seem to automatically side with the buyer no matter what. Amex may be my last chance not to be out of some money.

Either way I'm closing out my 12 year eBay account after this. I've had enough and the fees make it not worth it on top of the other bs they put you through.

I've never had to dispute anything with Amex before.

Message 4 of 6
jwduke
Regular Contributor

Thank god you didn't use a Paypal credit card... Paypal & GEMB help you in NO WAY!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

OP, goodluck.  I went through a similar experience about 5 years ago.  Two people were in a bidding war over an item I posted, the winner backed out.  Ebay stuck me with their fees (and of course you can't leave any negative feedback on the buyer).  Beyond frustrating and almost helpless are the best words I can describe how I felt.  I haven't used Ebay since.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.