getting credit established

My husband has recently become a legal resident of the US and has a new SS #. What is the best way for him to establish credit. Can I add his name onto my accounts and would this help him to get a credit card? Would a file start in his name showing this or would it just be on mine?
Epic Contributor

Re: getting credit established

that would start a file for him.
might want to consider a secured credit card for him.
it will take 6 months for his credit to generate a score once he has accounts. then he can start applying for the real stuff.

Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

Thanks for your answer.
What is a secured credit card? Can you tell me of any to start with?
Epic Contributor

Bank of America is the best
You put a min. of $300 into a savings account and they give you a credit card. After 9-12 months it can unsecure to a regular credit card and you get your deposit back.
Fico Scores: EQ- 668 DCU., TU 704 Best Buy, EX 700 Chase (2/5/15)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
67 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.