Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

give me some advice

tag
ld81
Established Member

give me some advice

my credit history is only 15 months.  I have a few credit cards with very low limit. An Orchard Bank card $320, two Capital One cards $500 each, a Direct Reward card $400.

I checked my FICO score TU:679, EQ:690.

I'd like to know if I can get a higher limit credit card with that score? and which one?

Please give me some advice,

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: give me some advice

Lets ask some questions:

1- Why do you need a higher limit card?

2- What is your current utilization of CLs you have?

3- What is your gross income? Time on job?

Message 2 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

@ld81 wrote:

my credit history is only 15 months.  I have a few credit cards with very low limit. An Orchard Bank card $320, two Capital One cards $500 each, a Direct Reward card $400.

I'd like to know if I can get a higher limit credit card with that score? and which one?

Try to do a pre approval on discover site. Make sure that once you get the recommended offers page, you click the see all offers button at the bottom to be sure that you are pre approved. If you are, find a card that works for you. I will take 150 cash back on 750 spend in 3 months.

Next, I will try the pre selector on amex site.

If you don't find a pre approved offer on either discover or amex, hold back for sometime.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Try to do a pre approval on discover site. Make sure that once you get the recommended offers page, you click the see all offers button at the bottom to be sure that you are pre approved. If you are, find a card that works for you. I will take 150 cash back on 750 spend in 3 months.

If you don't find a pre approved offer on either discover or amex, hold back for sometime.

I don't think that by not receiving a pre approval from either of those would be a guaranteed denial elsewhere. You are referring the OP to 2 prime lenders. This person could be approved elsewhere with a thin file, but then again, receive pre approvals from the above. Most companies offer cards to every credit level albiet it may be more difficult to get in with some than others.

How may inquires do you have on file are also pretty key here; too many may scare some off.

Message 4 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

I don't think that by not receiving a pre approval from either of those would be a guaranteed denial elsewhere. You are referring the OP to 2 prime lenders. This person could be approved elsewhere with a thin file, but then again, receive pre approvals from the above. Most companies offer cards to every credit level albiet it may be more difficult to get in with some than others.

How may inquires do you have on file are also pretty key here; too many may scare some off.

The general thought behind trying amex/discover pre approval is that if his history looks OK to discover/amex, he should be good to apply. but if he is denied a pre approval by both (even for zync), then his chances of a prime card approval are pretty thin. My other thought is that he may be at the point where he may start getting pre approved offers from everyone (chase, amex, us bank, discover) soon. I don't want him to pile up inquiries at this point if he can not be pre approved by amex or discover.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Sure, a preapproved offer is ideal, but even those aren't always guaranteed. If the OP decides to go that route, I'd say try for the Discover first.

Message 6 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

Sure, a preapproved offer is ideal, but even those aren't always guaranteed. If the OP decides to go that route, I'd say try for the Discover first.

We are in perfect harmony now Smiley Happy

+1

Message 7 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@ld81 wrote:

I'd like to know if I can get a higher limit credit card with that score?Yes you can and which one?CREDIT UNION

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 16
ld81
Established Member

thank u everyone for quick responds. 

Actually, I applied Discover More card and got denied.  I also applied for American Express Zync, and got denied.

Do u guys think because I have limited history of my credit?? my credit history is about 15 months, and 5 hard inquiries in EQ, and 7 hard inquiries in TU.

When do you think I can get a better card???

thanks everyone!!

Message 9 of 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

@ld81 wrote:

thank u everyone for quick responds. 

Actually, I applied Discover More card and got denied.  I also applied for American Express Zync, and got denied.

Do u guys think because I have limited history of my credit?? my credit history is about 15 months, and 5 hard inquiries in EQ, and 7 hard inquiries in TU.

When do you think I can get a better card???

thanks everyone!!

I don't think you are declined for length of history. My history is only 13 months old now. When I got my zync/chase/usbank last month, my history was exactly 1 year old. My total CL across all cards was 6300 and util 1-2%

How much is your util? I assume the other thing thats huring you may be your low limits.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.