Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

going frome Capital One Rewards Card to Quicksilver

tag
Bandit5160
Contributor

going frome Capital One Rewards Card to Quicksilver

Back when I was trying to rebuild my credit I got a Capital One Rewards Card for people with poor to fair credit and was glad to get it.  But now that I have concentrated on my credit and got my FICO score up from around 600 to a 771, I think I deserve an upgrade.  Since I don't want to close that card and apply for another one, which would lower my credit score twice, I decided to just ask them if I could change from my card to a Quicksilver card for excellent credit- which I now have.  The lady said their was an offer on my account for a free upgrade to the Quicksilver One.  Not really what I'm looking for and I feel a bit insulted!  My credit score is now excellent according to the Discover FICO Scorecard.  This One card comes with a $39 annual fee and a higher APR than the regular Quicksilver.  I think I deserve the regular Quicksilver and not the Quicksilver One.  What should I do?  Try to convince them to give it to me or just take the Quicksilver One for now?  

Wells Fargo Active Cash (3K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (5.6K), Discover It (18K), Chase Freedom Flex (5.7K), Capital One Quicksilver (6.75K), Apple Credit Card (6.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (5K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash MC (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (5K), Amazon Store Card (5K), Exxon Mobil Card (1.2K), Citi Best Buy Visa (6K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K), PayPal Credit (5K), Target RedCard (1.6K), FNBO BP Visa (5K), Synchrony MasterCard (7K), Fifth Third Bank Trio Mastercard (6.5K), Comenity King Size Card (1K), Wells Fargo Hotels.Com Rewards Visa (8.4K), Verizon Visa (5.5K), EBay MC (6.3K), Comenity Caesars Rewards Visa (5K). Sam’s Club MC (1.5K), My Walgreens MC (5K), Sony Card Visa (6.9K), My Chevrolet Rewards MC (9K), Wells Fargo Bilt MC (18K), AAA Cashback Rewards Visa (2K)

EQ 764 TU 772 EX 781
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: going frome Capital One Rewards Card to Quicksilver

They both offer 1.5% Cashback. The only difference is the other has an annual fee. Have you tried the capitalone upgrade link? They may have an offer for you to upgrade to a Quicsilver, not a QSone. 

Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont settle just to settle.
Message 3 of 15
peghede
Valued Contributor

If u upgrade they can upgrade you to one with no af ,or get the venture one with no af.you just gotta ask harder....Do Not settle for a dumb one with af.

Message 4 of 15
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Never settle especially if your scores can get better. Don't get the one with the AF because cap one is notorious for not dropping them without a lot of calls and chats over years. Wait if you have to and check the upgrade link later.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just my own experience with Capital one and upgrading. I had a platinum and a quicksilver one. I was able to pc the platinum to a qs1 and a few months later they let me pc my original qs1 to a regular qs. So my thought is they won't go from the rewards straight to the qs. They may want you to go from the rewards->qs1->qs?
Message 6 of 15
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Definitely don't settle.

I've had a QS1 since 2014 and they won't upgrade me to a no fee.

Cap1 is on my chopping block along with CreditOne come the end of the year.
Message 7 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Bandit5160 wrote:

Back when I was trying to rebuild my credit I got a Capital One Rewards Card for people with poor to fair credit and was glad to get it.  But now that I have concentrated on my credit and got my FICO score up from around 600 to a 771, I think I deserve an upgrade.  Since I don't want to close that card and apply for another one, which would lower my credit score twice, I decided to just ask them if I could change from my card to a Quicksilver card for excellent credit- which I now have.  The lady said their was an offer on my account for a free upgrade to the Quicksilver One.  Not really what I'm looking for and I feel a bit insulted!  My credit score is now excellent according to the Discover FICO Scorecard.  This One card comes with a $39 annual fee and a higher APR than the regular Quicksilver.  I think I deserve the regular Quicksilver and not the Quicksilver One.  What should I do?  Try to convince them to give it to me or just take the Quicksilver One for now?  

If your AF isn't due any time soon, I'd say take the upgrade to the QS1 and then keep checking to see if you can upgrade from QS1 to QS.  if you feel very strongly about getting the QS sooner instead of later, reach out to the EO.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on my experience, I would take it.

I went from the basic card to the QS One card, I called in month number 11 every year and asked for a product change, that I really didn't want to pay for the $39 annual fee, for ~3 years in a row, they said there was no product change they could give me, I suggested I may close the card because it wasn't worth it to me to pay the annual fee, they had no problem waving the annual fee and to try back before the following year's annual fee for a product change, after ~4 auto-CLIs over the ~3.5y I finally was able to PC to a Venture One w/o annual fee.  My reason for not closing and applying was 7.9% fixed and open for ~10 years.  A little effort and you likely can have the QS One for free every year too.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went straight from unsecured Platinum to no-AF Quicksilver by going through the upgrade-eligibility check page (I forget the link but it's elsewhere in this forum). Have you tried that link yet? If you have and you don't see an offer for a Quicksilver (not QS One), contact Cap One directly.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.