Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

golden1 - 3% restaurante - rewards post monthly

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: golden1 - 3% restaurante - rewards post monthly

They pulled EQ for me. Denied the CC with almost no explanation, but I later talked with a CSR (had to even figure out how to get logged into the bank site, different from the CC App site) and she said I should just wait 6 months to try again, that they like to see some activity to understand the customer.

She opened the free checking, and a debit card, and I'm beginning to run funds through there to pay other CCs to show some activity (significant flows) on the account.

They have a secured card, but it is structured to require a 150% deposit, and charge 17% APR from the moment of the swipe, so not doing that. I'll use the free debit card and transfers in the checking to show activity for now. (PenFed secured required only a 100% deposit, and works like a regular grace period CC)

I'm in WA and no indication that was an issue.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

They pulled EQ for me. Denied the CC with almost no explanation, but I later talked with a CSR (had to even figure out how to get logged into the bank site, different from the CC App site) and she said I should just wait 6 months to try again, that they like to see some activity to understand the customer.

She opened the free checking, and a debit card, and I'm beginning to run funds through there to pay other CCs to show some activity (significant flows) on the account.

They have a secured card, but it is structured to require a 150% deposit, and charge 17% APR from the moment of the swipe, so not doing that. I'll use the free debit card and transfers in the checking to show activity for now. (PenFed secured required only a 100% deposit, and works like a regular grace period CC)

I'm in WA and no indication that was an issue.

They did say some states were OK.   But... it took a while to get the reason for my rejection (just appeared with something like "Unable to approve requested credit conditions" and it took someone some research to come up with the (or perhaps "an") explanation so who knows.

Message 12 of 16
happypill
Valued Contributor

Wow, I guess I got lucky then.  I was able to open my checking & savings without any HP.  I am in their regular service area though (nearest branch is about 10-15 minutes from me); but their main service area is probably 2 hours away.

I guess I should run some funds through the account rather than just allow it to sit there with $1 in savings and $0 in checking if I plan to apply for a CC in about 4 months.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Golden 1's current credit policy is only to lend to CA residents, which means they only issue cards to CA residents. 

Don't waste your time otherwise.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

any of you guys heard of star one credit union? i saw one of their credit card, rewards isn't that great due to no annual fee card, but it's got CLEAR membership with it, so i think for people who travel a lot the card is def. worth it. oh and non-variable 8.75% apr.

http://www.starone.org/home/creditcards/signature_visa_rewards

Message 15 of 16
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

My only gripe with the platinum rewards golden1 card, is that to pay the CC bill, you have to transfer money to your free checking acct with Golden1, which took about 4 business days to transfer from my CU, then i could pay the CC bill with the funds in the checking acct.  Kind of annoying 

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.