Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gonna put 45k on a credit card!

tag
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: gonna put 45k on a credit card!

Can I put 45k on your card to buy me one of those next? LOL nice enjoy it.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 21 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@mrcrush20 wrote:

I am sure the dealership is making what they consider to be fair enough and still cover the 2 %... In reality you may be shooting your self in the foot for the rewards... By paying more then for the truck to cover the 2%..

I have would consider a good deal, invoice(dealer flooring amount) - rebates( public incentives) - hold back(dealer incentives)- retro bonus (factory bonus kick back to dealer).. And then if you are being allowed to charge the amount to a card at that time WOW.

The way I see this is robbing Pater to pay Paul

What ever the case, you must like the deal and truck to be buying it so MY opinion does not matter

CONGRATS that's a BAD A** truck and I am very jealous 

It sounds to me like the price was agreed upon before the possibility of paying with a CC was mentioned. If that's indeed the case, it's strange that the dealership would forego their profits that easily.

Message 22 of 31
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's awesome!!!!! Is this a standard practice... For dealers to accept cc's as payments?!? Hmmm Ive been curious as i'd much rather buy a vehicle with a credit card than go through the hassle of searching for a car loan... You probably just saved your credit score a looooot of pain too!!! :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 23 of 31
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

It sounds to me like the price was agreed upon before the possibility of paying with a CC was mentioned. If that's indeed the case, it's strange that the dealership would forego their profits that easily.

The fee was paid for by the buyer, the dealer was not going to give away $900 without a fight.  The agreed upon price still probably had some negotiating slack left in it.  Regardless it is very unusual to put an entire car purchase on a card as an unsecured debt.  If the buyer defaults it really makes it difficult for the creditor to recoup the money.  That's one reason dealers only allow a protion to be put on a card.  Lexus allowed me a $10,000 limit which was nice.  Put it on my Lexus Visa card and got 5% credit ($500) toward future service or car purchase. 

Message 24 of 31
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

The fee was paid for by the buyer, the dealer was not going to give away $900 without a fight.  The agreed upon price still probably had some negotiating slack left in it.  Regardless it is very unusual to put an entire car purchase on a card as an unsecured debt.  If the buyer defaults it really makes it difficult for the creditor to recoup the money.  That's one reason dealers only allow a protion to be put on a card.  Lexus allowed me a $10,000 limit which was nice.  Put it on my Lexus Visa card and got 5% credit ($500) toward future service or car purchase. 

The dealership gets the money even if the buyer defaults. If you buy a computer from Tiger Direct and file bankruptcy, Tiger Direct already got the money from the credit card company.

Message 25 of 31
swpopham
Established Contributor

we usually buy 2-3 cars and trucks a year for us or our business so, the dealership knows we are always back in 4-6 months for another. Normally everything goes threw NFCU or chase LOC. This was a spur of the moment decision. I made the comment jokingly and the new sales manager (who dosent know us) was like yeah lets make this happen then. Im sure the owner will call and scould me but whatever lol! im sure he wil rape me on the next service!

But there is no difference between using  a LOC or CC

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 26 of 31
mrcrush20
New Contributor

Re: goanna put Ask on a credit card!

I think we can all agree that the dealership gets the money, but since the CC payment was discussed b4 price I would yes as well. So long as I still have a profit and cover the fees then its all good. Like I said  Pater and Paul.... Are your points = to 900 ? No dealership is going to lose money after the kick backs a NET NET NET number after all the packs smoke and mirrors is and will be a + dealerships are not non profit.

if a dealership says that will take a full payment on CC then you are leavign money on the table.. unless one $ spent = one point = one $

In California their is a loop hole in a law about assisted loans... It can be a way out of a car loan I have seen used . You buy a 20k car and put 10 K down on CC the CC can be seen as a assisted loan..

I worked at a few dealerships that had a limit on amount CC no BC of the fees but bc of the assisted loans loop hole. From 2-5 K is what i seen

just my thoughts still the deal is all in the buyers mind, if he knocked off some money and got points ? buyers happy ? thats all that matters

Message 27 of 31
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: goanna put Ask on a credit card!

I absolutely love this idea. let your card work for you.

Message 28 of 31
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Can you pay it off in 15 months as per their offer?  If so, then I would say go for it and more power to you.  What kind of reward points do you get with that?

My last vehicle, I got a promotional rate from the dealer/Ford Credit - 0% for 5 years and $3400 off in rebates so they could get rid of the old stock.  Heck, yeah I went for it.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 29 of 31
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I think the most that I was able to use my card for a downpayment was about $5k. This was about 5-6 years ago (GM dealer). I did have a pile of points from my GM card though. That took about $6k off of the price of the truck on top of the discount from the dealer ($500. over invoice, factory order).  

Putting the whole thing on your cc and getting points for it.  Great deal! 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.