Did you mean: 

good bye!!!

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: good bye!!!

@afbar1114 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

Have you thought about page once or mint to keep track of cards?

i am using them both but sometimes they dont update all the time.  all i was trying to do was get a good set of cards to garden with. i have 3 prime cards now. i just dont understand how one can say dont close retail cards when one wants too. if they feel too much stress over it why not allow them too....

You are allowed to manage your cards however you see fit. Some members were simply reminding you that, if you simply sockdrawered them and wait for the issuers to close them due to inactivity, you'd add that much more to your age on those accounts. But, you're certainly free to close them if you wish; I don't see anyone telling you that you can't.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 70
Cesarlopez
Established Member

Once again.... I feel for the OP

Closing accounts will not hurt him... You dont want him to apply for anything else and he is clearly ready to garden with the accounts he wants. If he pays on time and waits until the inqueries fall off he well have great credit.
CAP1 Venture $3k & No Hassel $750 / Discover More 2.5k / AMEX ZYNC NPSL & Delta 2k / FirstTech CU Visa 2k / USAA AMEX 1k / Sam's 2.2k / Amazon 1.9k / Walmart $800 /
Message 12 of 70
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@afbar1114 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

Have you thought about page once or mint to keep track of cards?

i am using them both but sometimes they dont update all the time.  all i was trying to do was get a good set of cards to garden with. i have 3 prime cards now. i just dont understand how one can say dont close retail cards when one wants too. if they feel too much stress over it why not allow them too....

I close cards that annoy me, and I see nothing wrong with it. They *should* continue to report for ten years after closing, and they're included in your AAoA. Presumably, when they drop off ten years from now, there will be little effect.

If you don't let balances report, or if you keep them very low, you shouldn't be hurt by any change in reported util.

So I'm with you on closing the cards, as long as you understand the implications.

But as for the rest, you're being chided because you said you wouldn't app, and then you did. And that's all it is, is chiding. When you ask for help and support in resisting apping, which you have in the past, you should expect a reaction when you go ahead and do it anyway. Smiley Happy

At any rate, I completely agree that this forum in particular can be very bad for those who have a hard time getting the app bug out of their heads. Go in peace (if you want to), and when the time comes that you feel like returning, I'm sure that the CC board will still be here, salivating over the latest shiny bit of plastic. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 70
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i am hoping that now i feel like i have a good set to garden with i can get a CLI in six months on bankamericard and freedom

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 14 of 70
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@afbar1114 wrote:

i am hoping that now i feel like i have a good set to garden with i can get a CLI in six months on bankamericard and freedom

That sounds like a very good plan, and I wish you all the best with it. Smiley Happy

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 15 of 70
Cesarlopez
Established Member

@tinuviel ”waits until credit company closes account” really?????

When I manually review credit at work and I see CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR I'm ver very concerned! This very bad advice!
CAP1 Venture $3k & No Hassel $750 / Discover More 2.5k / AMEX ZYNC NPSL & Delta 2k / FirstTech CU Visa 2k / USAA AMEX 1k / Sam's 2.2k / Amazon 1.9k / Walmart $800 /
Message 16 of 70
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

That sounds like a very good plan, and I wish you all the best with it. Smiley Happy

i think my problom was rewards. i wanted the best to garden with. and the freedom and checking combo is awesome so i cant wait to start earning it. i still have 553 UR points left from when they had the chase debit card rewards. so  i will transfer them to freedom soon 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 17 of 70
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Cesarlopez wrote:

When I manually review credit at work and I see CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR I'm ver very concerned! This very bad advice!

With respects, you missed the point of my post. I was not recommending one way other the other with regard to how the accounts were to be closed. I was specifically pointing out that afbar -- and this applies to anyone -- is ALLOWED to do whatever he wants with his accounts. OTHER folks had mentioned sockdrawering cards as an OPTION, not as something that he was REQUIRED to do. The phrase that I was really trying to address was, " if they feel too much stress over it why not allow them too...."

Message 18 of 70
android01
Valued Contributor

@Cesarlopez wrote:

As a person who reviews others credit files, I would hope that during your review (manual in this case), you notice that the account was likely closed due to inactivity, which can easily be seen, and that this designation has NO effect on a person's FICO score.  I've had many accounts closed by the "credit grantor" because they were inactive accounts.  It hasn't affected my ability for new credit products one bit.  I could understand that if the account had multiple lates or other issues,  upon manual review, it could be seen as a negative, but for a clean account/file it makes no difference.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 19 of 70
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@Cesarlopez wrote:

Card companies close inactive accounts all the time. My husband has a Walmart card that was closed for inactivity after a year by "credit grantor request" not because he did anything wrong with the card, just never used it.

I'm concerned that you are reviewing credit manually and see that as something "very concerning". Hopefully you investigate further than that as I'm sure there are plenty of people who obtain a credit card for some bonus or other incentive and then never use it again.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.