Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got caught up in the euphoria......need to step away

tag
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

got caught up in the euphoria......need to step away

in getting my score up so much I went on an app spree and I found getting approved to be oh so very intoxicating

ironically I have zero interest in actually buying anything but man getting hooked on getting new credit is way too easy

hearing the success stories around here.

Today was a reality call when I went for my 8th account and was declined for one reason. Too many inq. Rep even

said I had excellent score, profile etc but the new inq was a concern.

Thats it folks, officially pushing away from the dinner table and going to limit my visits to the forum. I think it was a small

reason why I went off the deep end a little.

lesson learned !!!!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: got caught up in the euphoria......need to step away

I can sooooo relate to what you're saying!!!  Same here.  After paying off outstanding balances, getting UTI down to less than 1% and watching my scores go up steadily, I also went on a CLI/application spree.  In the past 60 days have gotten CLI's of 3000 to 6000, 5000 to 8250, 2500 to 7500 on existing accounts.  Applied for and got AMEX Zync and Amex Clear (3000), Citi Diamond Preferred MC (6800), Discover More (3600), Lumber Liquidators/GEMB (3600) and BofA BankAmericard Power Rewards (5000).  Only declines were Chase Slate and Chase Sapphire for, as you can see, too many inquiries.  The bulk of the pulls were EX, I was expecting more of a mix of pulls, no one pulled TU, which is my best score!

Anyway, now it's time to go into gardening mode and effectively manage what I've got!  It's nice to know I have this credit available, now it's time to manage it correctly and slowly continue to grow my scores.  Was shooting for that magic 750, got TU at 777, the others are hovering in that area. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going through the opposite. Got approved with a pretty good score and want nothing to do with credit card applications for the time being. Earlier this year I was declined for both a Bank of America and Citi card. Waited about 4 months and got approved for a capital one no hassle cash rewards card. Saw my credit score that capital one pulled was 701 with experian. Very respectable.

Getting multiple cards is far from my goal right now even though the past few months I have received credit card offers in the mail many times. Now I am going to wait another 8 months to a year before I think about any new cards. Instead of wanting to have multiple cards, I now want to have as few as possible, ideally only one. Since my reward of choice is travel the Cap One Venture is my goal. I can go for the Southwest or United airline cards if I have to, but ideally I only want to use one card.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aleicgrant wrote:

in getting my score up so much I went on an app spree and I found getting approved to be oh so very intoxicating

ironically I have zero interest in actually buying anything but man getting hooked on getting new credit is way too easy

hearing the success stories around here.

Today was a reality call when I went for my 8th account and was declined for one reason. Too many inq. Rep even

said I had excellent score, profile etc but the new inq was a concern.

Thats it folks, officially pushing away from the dinner table and going to limit my visits to the forum. I think it was a small

reason why I went off the deep end a little.

lesson learned !!!!!!

Aw,,,,stick around aleicgrant!  The forums will help you learn how to manage what you have.  And, IIRC, the forums are full of posters who advise slowing down and spacing out apps.  (after a mini app spree, I became one of 'em)! 

App sprees kinda remind me of a chocolate binge.  They always come to an end, you can recover somewhat gracefully with time, and then life goes on from there.  Now you get to garden garden garden - and the forums have some great and experienced gardeners!    

Message 4 of 10
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

well I wont stay away but I will stay out of the credit card thread so to speak.

Now, beamme, what is your best gardening tips Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

what funny/great that even with all this new credit when I have looked at buying something in the last few days I suddenly get a little ill feeling and dont even complete the purchase. And this is on a $30 item. I have tried it a few times with the same effect. I have so psychlogically trained myself never to get into debt again that I am getting ill

ha ha ha

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@aleicgrant wrote:

well I wont stay away but I will stay out of the credit card thread so to speak.

Now, beamme, what is your best gardening tips Smiley Happy

Have you considered participating in the monthly Garden Club thread? The whole point of the thread is to share experiences with and encourage others who are refraining from doing any apps for the time being.

I've been itching to app for the last two cards that I want to add to my wallet, but I really want a little more aging on my report and some inqs to fade. I agree with you that approvals can provide a rush, particularly if you are rebuilding, as they seem to validate the success of the rebuilder's work. Gardening, by comparison, can be boring for many folks; no big adrenaline rush such as what one experiences from hitting the app button and waiting for the results, no jumping up and down when notice of the approval comes back, no eager anticipation of the new card's arrival in the mail. Instead, there are smaller rewards that are very important nevertheless: inquiries aging, CLIs on existing cards, perhaps baddies dropping off. In its own way, it's fun to watch scores recover from the new credit ding and credit lines begin to increase.

The GC thread has helped to keep me focused on my credit rebuilding plan without giving into that rush. I'd hate to see you leave the forum, and perhaps this might help. If you decide to join our thread, your complientary gardening gloves and watering can will be waiting for you. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 10
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

consider me officially in the garden thread Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@aleicgrant wrote:

consider me officially in the garden thread Smiley Happy

Great! I'll look for you there! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering what successes you had with the app spree?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.