Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got my 1st denial in a long time...

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

got my 1st denial in a long time...

Well I got greedy. Last Tuesday I was approved for the barclaycard rewards, then on Sunday I was approved for paypal smart connect. Before that I was approved for every card or secured card I applied for. I was orignally going to wait to apply for the capital one quicksilver card ,but after hours of looking at whogavemecredit and creditkarma I said I have to try because this way I can get all my apps out of the way and basically garden for all of 2014. I have had my capital one secured card for almost ten months used it a lot, paid in full and on time every month. Also, I have received an unsecured increase of 300 dollars which from what I have read is kinda unheard of with capital one most people dont get an unsecured increase or if they do its just 100 dollars.

I already called the backdoor numbers its like talking to a robot  who has a human voice. I sent an email to the ceo I have not heard back yet which is kinda odd they usually call within 24 hours. But I was so frustrated last night I messaged them on facebook and I finally got someone who is not a robot. I told the person that I just want my credit line to be 300 so basically asking if they can move my unsecured line to the quicksilver card and then close my secured card. I told them if they can't get me approved I just want to close my secured card take my 1k dollars and just take my business elsewhere. The person said that they might have an answer for me as soon as today and the fact that they want me to grow with capital one. I am not sure what else I could have done short of waiting a year as I said I just wanted to get the app out of the way and I really thought I would get approved.

Is what I am asking for crazy? I have one bad account on my credit report it is sallie mae student loan with a ton of lates on it from 2012, but I do not owe anyone anything on my credit report everything is paid off except for the 2% I show on one of my cards every month. My current scores are 655 from myfico eq and 670 from tu 08 barclaycard. I know a lot of people have been approved with way lower scores than that for the quicksliver card and yes i did apply for the average credit version with the af.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: got my 1st denial in a long time...

Sorry but, 2012 is pretty recent.

The impact late payments have on score generally lessens over time.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Like @drkaje said, 2012 is pretty recent and you said there were a ton of lates, which will weigh even more on the decision to decline. Just ride it out and let the penalty of lates on your CR lessen over time.

On a side note, I feel like the Cap1 Quicksilver has been giving quite a few denials, can anyone back this up?

Cheers!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 3 of 21
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Sallie-Mae is a cruel mistress. Hope things can get worked out.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 21
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the denial, but with lates from 2012 and new apps/approvals it's not all that surprising.

Let the new cards/apps/lates age for a bit and you should be good to go.

Message 5 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Well I got greedy. Last Tuesday I was approved for the barclaycard rewards, then on Sunday I was approved for paypal smart connect. Before that I was approved for every card or secured card I applied for. I was orignally going to wait to apply for the capital one quicksilver card ,but after hours of looking at whogavemecredit and creditkarma I said I have to try because this way I can get all my apps out of the way and basically garden for all of 2014. I have had my capital one secured card for almost ten months used it a lot, paid in full and on time every month. Also, I have received an unsecured increase of 300 dollars which from what I have read is kinda unheard of with capital one most people dont get an unsecured increase or if they do its just 100 dollars.

I already called the backdoor numbers its like talking to a robot  who has a human voice. I sent an email to the ceo I have not heard back yet which is kinda odd they usually call within 24 hours. But I was so frustrated last night I messaged them on facebook and I finally got someone who is not a robot. I told the person that I just want my credit line to be 300 so basically asking if they can move my unsecured line to the quicksilver card and then close my secured card. I told them if they can't get me approved I just want to close my secured card take my 1k dollars and just take my business elsewhere. The person said that they might have an answer for me as soon as today and the fact that they want me to grow with capital one. I am not sure what else I could have done short of waiting a year as I said I just wanted to get the app out of the way and I really thought I would get approved.

Is what I am asking for crazy? I have one bad account on my credit report it is sallie mae student loan with a ton of lates on it from 2012, but I do not owe anyone anything on my credit report everything is paid off except for the 2% I show on one of my cards every month. My current scores are 655 from myfico eq and 670 from tu 08 barclaycard. I know a lot of people have been approved with way lower scores than that for the quicksliver card and yes i did apply for the average credit version with the af.

Just so I'm clear, you applied for QS and not QS1?

If so, your credit profile is not ready for the QS and Cap1 does not combine CL's.

With a ton of lates , new TLs, and a scores in the mid 600's - patience is in order. 

Message 6 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

If so, your credit profile is not ready for the QS and Cap1 does not combine CL's.

With a ton of lates , new TLs, and a scores in the mid 600's - patience is in order. 

Agreed. This sounds like a situation that calls for gardening.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 21
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I applied for the mastercard 39 AF version average credit. I know capital one does not combine cl i was just hoping that if they can give me 300 on one card they can give it to me on another. I am 100% going to garden for a year after this the quicksliver was just the card I really wanted. Capital one was my oldest credit card account and it was my highest line. The lates were on student loans which I think may be scored a little different if they have a credit card enahced score I have never been late on any of my cards. Most people on who gave me credit acutally had scores in the very low 600s getting approved for the quicksliver card. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Message 8 of 21
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

@Like @drkaje said, 2012 is pretty recent and you said there were a ton of lates, which will weigh even more on the decision to decline. Just ride it out and let the penalty of lates on your CR lessen over time.

On a side note, I feel like the Cap1 Quicksilver has been giving quite a few denials, can anyone back this up?

Cheers!

I know there are a ton of lates but how can I get approved for the barclaycard average credit and the paypal smart connect? I have read who gave me credit so many people had bk that were less than two years old and people who have burned capital one in the past and still got approved for capital one qs cards

Message 9 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I think the disappointment comes from the "greedy" factor and now you're disappointed and want something for it - being declined is not the end of the world.  Lenders have to make risk assessments on how your handle your credit obligations, and as other have pointed out, you do have some recent lates - not from 6+ years ago, but from 2012.

IIRC, Capital One typically doesn't consolidate or allocate CLs, especially from a secured product.  When it comes to reconsiderations, they can be all over the map and not with much success as you've seen on the boards.  It's one of those YEMV situations.  If it comes to being declined, just take it for what it is and just garden until everything is more optimal so your chances are better in the future.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.