Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got the chase amazon - may want to close

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: got the chase amazon - may want to close

^question. So is any cobranded card eligible to transferred over the one of the "main" cards like the freedom?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 21 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@OmarGB9 wrote:
^question. So is any cobranded card eligible to transferred over the one of the "main" cards like the freedom?

yes

Message 22 of 37
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i am with you. they won't nerf a profitable card that isn't abused. 

But isn't it? If SM didn't intend it to be used basically exclusively to get 5% off on Amazon purchases, and too many people are doing just that and not using the card in non-bonus categories, from their perspective it may well be suffering abuse.

Message 23 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
i am with you. they won'tnerf a profitable card that isn't abused. 

But isn't it? If SM didn't intend it to be used basically exclusively to get 5% off on Amazon purchases, and too many people are doing just that and not using the card in non-bonus categories, from their perspective it may well be suffering abuse.

I disagree...  $750 a month cap is hardly alot to be abused and other people are using it for alot of other stuff.. They clearly know it is being used on Amazon.  That isn't abuse if that is what the card is meant for books/gas/food all small caps..  Not a ton of people know about the card and they are consistently offering spend incentives to people for additional bonuses, so they aren't losing money IMO.  heck if I want to stack the odds in the card issuers favor I will use all 1% cards..  Kinda like saying someone that uses the freedom or discover for the 5% cats are abusing the card..  I hardly feel bad for any big banks, they are all extremely profitable and stick their hands in the tax-payer pockets being my pocket and yours without feeling bad.  Heck BofA, citi and other banks would all be out of business if it wasn't for the tax payers and bailing their dumb investments and practices out for their being the banks greed and bad investments and relaxed standards such as not checking income on house purchases and getting people in over their head for pure greed.  Wasn't it just Barclay's that got a huge arse fine for currency manipulation?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/markets/five-banks-plead-guilty-global-currency-manipulation-n361921

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have applied for nearly every single card I have after having consumed 1-6 adult beverages I think...

Message 25 of 37
Focused10
Established Contributor

I say keep it. It could grow.

;;;
BCE: $2K | Amazon: $5K | BBVAmex: $7.5K | AAdvntge: $8.5K | AMEX: $30K | Frdm: $10K | Citi: $6.2K | FNB: $10K | NASA: $25K | CapOne QS: $10K | Chase Marriott: $12K ~ Garden 3.2.16
Message 26 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have applied for nearly every single card I have after having consumed 1-6 adult beverages I think...

Ironically, that is how I applied for my two Amex cards.  Due to my having prior negative history with them I never would have attempted to get back in sober.  Amazingly, it worked out.  Smiley Tongue

Now if only I had done so a month earlier and got the accounts backdated to 1995... I can't really complain, though, since I figured I would always be "on the outside looking in" anyway... 

Message 27 of 37
yfan
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I disagree...  $750 a month cap is hardly alot to be abused and other people are using it for alot of other stuff.. They clearly know it is being used on Amazon.  

Again, it isn't about the cap, it's about the card being used to get things that aren't... books but getting that same discount on a disproportionate basis. It's not really up to you or me to decide what SM considers "abuse" though. It's up to them. And $750 is quite enough for monthly Amazon spend, when you consider that the average spend for Prime members on Amazon is $1500 a year, and non-prime members spend on average only $625 a year (link). In that light, $750 isn't exactly a small cap as it is likely more than enough for even people who on average spend 5x the Prime member average.

SM meant the card's book rewards for students and parents who need to buy a lot of books at the beginning of a semester. Amazon used be a bookstore, but it's so much more now. In fact, allowing Apple Appstore or Google Play store purchases as book purchases would make more sense as a big part of both stores is digital books. True, SM can redesign the program to better fit this, and perhaps they will. That they know it's being used on Amazon is not the same as saying they intended it to be a general use 5% card (which is what Amazon use essentially makes it).

@CreditCuriousity wrote:
Not a ton of people know about the card and they are consistently offering spend incentives to people for additional bonuses, so they aren't losing money IMO.

Actually, your logic could work the other way. Since not a ton of people know about the card, it would make sense to extrapolate that the card's userbase is relatively small, and since it takes some digging to find out about it, perhaps more selective about rewards than the typical credit card user. Which means that if Amazon's ubiquitous marketplace was not an intended category for the card, even a relatively small number of cardholders taking full advantage of that reward could adversely affect the books.

@CreditCuriousity wrote:
heck if I want to stack the odds in the card issuers favor I will use all 1% cards..  Kinda like saying someone that uses the freedom or discover for the 5% cats are abusing the card..  I hardly feel bad for any big banks, they are all extremely profitable and stick their hands in the tax-payer pockets being my pocket and yours without feeling bad.

Well, it would also be foolish to think that you figuring out a way to get some extra rewards is somehow proportionate to their taxpayer helps. This is a terrible forum to debate fiscal policy. And to fully debate it, it will require political discussion outside of the scope of this forum. But to be clear, if you are under the impression that I think you owe something to the banks, let me disabuse of that notion right here. I have no problem with you or anyone else taking advantage of a currently existing rewards structure, whether the issuing bank originally intended for a certain store to be included in a certain category.

What I am saying, however, is that the bank, from its perspective as a lender, may well see the card's overuse on Amazon as an abuse of a loophole - regardless of the fact that the loophole is of their creation - and thus may choose to close that loophole. That is my point. This isn't about banks being nice chaps. This isn't some kind of a moral issue. This is practical. This is business. Banks don't care that they took taxpayer loans (like a lot of us don't care that they paid it back), when deciding whether a particular credit product is profitable for them. That is the only question with respect to nerfing. Taxpayer lifelines have nothing to do with whehter a product is likely to be nerfed, which is the question we are trying to address here.

Message 28 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The point is that no one knows if Barclay cares about Amazon use
We also don't know if that was an "intended" use or not as we are not privy to the business case. It's been like that for a long tome, which while no guarantee certainly doesn't support the view proposed here that it is danger of being nerfed. Projection of a personal dislike on to tla bank Imo
Message 29 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@yfan wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I disagree...  $750 a month cap is hardly alot to be abused and other people are using it for alot of other stuff.. They clearly know it is being used on Amazon.  

Again, it isn't about the cap, it's about the card being used to get things that aren't... books but getting that same discount on a disproportionate basis. It's not really up to you or me to decide what SM considers "abuse" though. It's up to them. And $750 is quite enough for monthly Amazon spend, when you consider that the average spend for Prime members on Amazon is $1500 a year, and non-prime members spend on average only $625 a year (link). In that light, $750 isn't exactly a small cap as it is likely more than enough for even people who on average spend 5x the Prime member average.

SM meant the card's book rewards for students and parents who need to buy a lot of books at the beginning of a semester. Amazon used be a bookstore, but it's so much more now. In fact, allowing Apple Appstore or Google Play store purchases as book purchases would make more sense as a big part of both stores is digital books. True, SM can redesign the program to better fit this, and perhaps they will. That they know it's being used on Amazon is not the same as saying they intended it to be a general use 5% card (which is what Amazon use essentially makes it).

@CreditCuriousity wrote:
Not a ton of people know about the card and they are consistently offering spend incentives to people for additional bonuses, so they aren't losing money IMO.

Actually, your logic could work the other way. Since not a ton of people know about the card, it would make sense to extrapolate that the card's userbase is relatively small. Which means that if Amazon's ubiquitous marketplace was not an intended category for the card, even a relatively small number of cardholders taking full advantage of that reward could adversely affect the books.

@CreditCuriousity wrote:
heck if I want to stack the odds in the card issuers favor I will use all 1% cards..  Kinda like saying someone that uses the freedom or discover for the 5% cats are abusing the card..  I hardly feel bad for any big banks, they are all extremely profitable and stick their hands in the tax-payer pockets being my pocket and yours without feeling bad.

Well, it would also be foolish to think that you figuring out a way to get some extra rewards is somehow proportionate to their taxpayer helps. This is a terrible forum to debate fiscal policy. And to fully debate it, it will require political discussion outside of the scope of this forum. But to be clear, if you are under the impression that I think you owe something to the banks, let me disabuse of that notion right here. I have no problem with you or anyone else taking advantage of a currently existing rewards structure, whether the issuing bank originally intended for a certain store to be included in a certain category.

What I am saying, however, is that the bank, from its perspective as a lender, may well see the card's overuse on Amazon as an abuse of a loophole - regardless of the fact that the loophole is of their creation - and thus may choose to close that loophole. That is my point. This isn't about banks being nice chaps. This isn't some kind of a moral issue. This is practical. This is business. Banks don't care that they took taxpayer loans (like a lot of us don't care that they paid it back), when deciding whether a particular credit product is profitable for them. That is the only question with respect to nerfing. Taxpayer lifelines have nothing to do with whehter a product is likely to be nerfed, which is the question we are trying to address here.

I agree with most of your points and well written and valid points..  I just don't see it being nerfed as I believe you agreed not a ton of people know it exists.  

The only point I was try to make with my analogy(maybe even a bad one) was to basically say banks take us for rides all the time, so it is nice to get something back from them.  Make no mistake though they have taken us for alot more than we have taken them for..  Even if most of those banks paid back our life line or loans we gave them, I doubt they paid interest to us, athough I could be wrong..  I think you agree banks aren't are friends and out for their own intersts.  With that said we will close out comparing the ethics of banks to the nerfing of CC as we have addressed it enough and not 100% releveant to the post.  I can complain about their ethics and politiics on another forum.

In the long run, I just don't see it happening unless Amazon recodes their purchases or Sync. makes a big stink about it.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.