Reply
Regular Contributor
angelcred10
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-12-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


Themanwhocan wrote:

angelcred10 wrote:
I won't go above those ever unless I somehow get time to travel out of town

I'll need to recon 😔
Anyone have the backdoor #?
I found the thread is it still accurate?
Barclays correct?

Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you wrote.

 

This thread was started 3 days ago, so yes it is still accurate.

 

What exactly are you trying to recon? the Two Sallie Mae cards are Barclay cards, if thats what you mean.

 

The backdoor numbers are in the stickies, but here is a direct link http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbersu/m-p/408066

 


I swear if I repost on accident -.- lol

Yes, I was in need of recon the Sallie Mae.

I was sure it was Barclay but have to wait until monday for the credit analyst to be available

 

I meant I found an old thread with the backdoor numbers through the search tool, was a different post than the link you just gave.. same #s


Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 688(discover) 707 (Sallie Mae TU pull) Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Cap One Quicksilver $1,300 Wal-Mart $1,000 Best Buy $1.5K DiscoverIT $2.5K Chase Freedom $3K AMEX BCE $2K
NEW: Chase Slate - $1,000
NEW: AMEX Everyday - $4,000
NEW: Sallie Mae - $2,500
CC Pay-Off Challenge!!!!!
Contributor
NotUsher
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎07-06-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards

[ Edited ]

angelcred10 wrote:
Hardly ever get that high in spending.
What do they consider "bookstores"

Amazon (anything actually sold through them, plus some things fulfilled by Amazon - YMMV) and then whatever else would count as a bookstore (Barnes & Noble, things on college campuses maybe).

 

Amazon is the important one.



Frequent Contributor
MoreRewards
Posts: 398
Registered: ‎09-27-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards

So Sallie Mae gives 5% CB on non book purchases from Amazon.com?
Super Contributor
longtimelurker
Posts: 7,217
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


MoreRewards wrote:
So Sallie Mae gives 5% CB on non book purchases from Amazon.com?

Yes, up to $750 per month

Most active card: Amex BC ($50K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS (x2), Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus, Fid Amex
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Regular Contributor
jesseh
Posts: 115
Registered: ‎03-06-2014
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


longtimelurker wrote:

MoreRewards wrote:
So Sallie Mae gives 5% CB on non book purchases from Amazon.com?

Yes, up to $750 per month


Do you need a Salie Mae card? There is a sign up page on upromise.com and I didn't see whether you need a sallie mae card..

 

ADFCU $500 securedSDFCU $250 secured
Started April '14, no scores generated yet
Strategy: unsecure cards when possible, get 5k CL's, apply for prime cards (eg merrill+)
Regular Contributor
angelcred10
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎03-12-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards

Yeah, just go to salliemae.com
And it's there
Not on Barclay or I promise site.. A little hidden

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 688(discover) 707 (Sallie Mae TU pull) Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Cap One Quicksilver $1,300 Wal-Mart $1,000 Best Buy $1.5K DiscoverIT $2.5K Chase Freedom $3K AMEX BCE $2K
NEW: Chase Slate - $1,000
NEW: AMEX Everyday - $4,000
NEW: Sallie Mae - $2,500
CC Pay-Off Challenge!!!!!
Senior Contributor
SunriseEarth
Posts: 4,055
Registered: ‎08-12-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


longtimelurker wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

angelcred10 wrote:

Always hearing about this Sallie Mae Card, that much better than BCE?

I never noticed those are pretty high %'s back!

May go apply...


Sallie Mae Rewards card is better than a BCE. You did see the spreadsheets earlier in this post, right :smileywink:

 

 


 

Agree.  One great use of this forum would be to educate people that you shouldn't get card X because card Y is better, but we keep seeing people getting the BCE.   To reiterate without the chart:

 

There is almost no spend point where the BCE is the card to get.   If you spend relatively little on gas and groceries, the Sallie Mae is better.  If you spend ~ $6K on groceries (including gift cards)  BCP may be better (but still get the free Sallie Mae as well for the gas and Amazon) and if you spend a lot (either real or manufactured) the Blue Cash is the card to have.   And if you spend enough at select department stores (the advantage of BCP/BCE over SM) then again the BCP would be better.

 

The exception is if you want your first Amex, or an additional Amex for backdating.  But even then, now the Everyday might be a better choice.


"Enough" would be an amount over $7500.  So it's a small niche, but BCE could definitely be advantageous with the right spending habits. 


Start: 619 (Wally, 9/2013) | Current: 669 (Wally, 10/6/14), 703 (EQ myFICO 8/13/14)
Care Credit $10200 | Walmart Store $5000 | AMEX BCE $4500 | Cap 1 QS1 $4000 | JCP $3900 | AMEX Costco TE $3500 | Macy's Special Events $2900 | CU Visa $2500 | Sony Card $2500 | Amazon Store $1800 | Citi DC WMC $1200 | Macy's Revolving $1200 | Merrick $1200 | Target $1000 | VS $850 | Gold Violin $850 ~~Gardening Since 8/28/14
Frequent Contributor
MoreRewards
Posts: 398
Registered: ‎09-27-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards

Ok according to what i read it's on everything but digital purchases. Has anyone purchased gift cards & got the 5%? I used my Chase Freedom Q4 solely on gift cards for the Amazon CB.
Super Contributor
longtimelurker
Posts: 7,217
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


SunriseEarth wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

angelcred10 wrote:

Always hearing about this Sallie Mae Card, that much better than BCE?

I never noticed those are pretty high %'s back!

May go apply...


Sallie Mae Rewards card is better than a BCE. You did see the spreadsheets earlier in this post, right :smileywink:

 

 


 

Agree.  One great use of this forum would be to educate people that you shouldn't get card X because card Y is better, but we keep seeing people getting the BCE.   To reiterate without the chart:

 

There is almost no spend point where the BCE is the card to get.   If you spend relatively little on gas and groceries, the Sallie Mae is better.  If you spend ~ $6K on groceries (including gift cards)  BCP may be better (but still get the free Sallie Mae as well for the gas and Amazon) and if you spend a lot (either real or manufactured) the Blue Cash is the card to have.   And if you spend enough at select department stores (the advantage of BCP/BCE over SM) then again the BCP would be better.

 

The exception is if you want your first Amex, or an additional Amex for backdating.  But even then, now the Everyday might be a better choice.


"Enough" would be an amount over $7500.  So it's a small niche, but BCE could definitely be advantageous with the right spending habits. 


That's assuming no gas or grocery purchases though.  But yes, if you don't buy gas or groceries, and don't have a 2% card, and spend up to $7500 at select department stores, then yes, the BCE is OK.

Most active card: Amex BC ($50K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS (x2), Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus, Fid Amex
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan
Posts: 1,660
Registered: ‎04-04-2013
0

Re: >1% cash back cards


longtimelurker wrote:

SunriseEarth wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

angelcred10 wrote:

Always hearing about this Sallie Mae Card, that much better than BCE?

I never noticed those are pretty high %'s back!

May go apply...


Sallie Mae Rewards card is better than a BCE. You did see the spreadsheets earlier in this post, right :smileywink:

 

 


 

Agree.  One great use of this forum would be to educate people that you shouldn't get card X because card Y is better, but we keep seeing people getting the BCE.   To reiterate without the chart:

 

There is almost no spend point where the BCE is the card to get.   If you spend relatively little on gas and groceries, the Sallie Mae is better.  If you spend ~ $6K on groceries (including gift cards)  BCP may be better (but still get the free Sallie Mae as well for the gas and Amazon) and if you spend a lot (either real or manufactured) the Blue Cash is the card to have.   And if you spend enough at select department stores (the advantage of BCP/BCE over SM) then again the BCP would be better.

 

The exception is if you want your first Amex, or an additional Amex for backdating.  But even then, now the Everyday might be a better choice.


"Enough" would be an amount over $7500.  So it's a small niche, but BCE could definitely be advantageous with the right spending habits. 


That's assuming no gas or grocery purchases though.  But yes, if you don't buy gas or groceries, and don't have a 2% card, and spend up to $7500 at select department stores, then yes, the BCE is OK.


On the other hand, the US Bank Cash+ can select all Dept Stores for 5% cash back, which beats 2% only on a select few. For that matter, a Huntington Voice card can select Department stores AND Electronics stores for 3% cash back (both are in the same category)...

 

Oh, and I don't like the look of the BCE. Not blue enough, I guess.



myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}