angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Re: >1% cash back cards

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@angelcred10 wrote:
I won't go above those ever unless I somehow get time to travel out of town

I'll need to recon 😔
Anyone have the backdoor #?
I found the thread is it still accurate?
Barclays correct?

Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you wrote.

This thread was started 3 days ago, so yes it is still accurate.

What exactly are you trying to recon? the Two Sallie Mae cards are Barclay cards, if thats what you mean.

The backdoor numbers are in the stickies, but here is a direct link http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbersu/m-p/408066

I swear if I repost on accident -.- lol

Yes, I was in need of recon the Sallie Mae.

I was sure it was Barclay but have to wait until monday for the credit analyst to be available

I meant I found an old thread with the backdoor numbers through the search tool, was a different post than the link you just gave.. same #s

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 31 of 53
NotUsher
Contributor

@angelcred10 wrote:
Hardly ever get that high in spending.
What do they consider "bookstores"

Amazon (anything actually sold through them, plus some things fulfilled by Amazon - YMMV) and then whatever else would count as a bookstore (Barnes & Noble, things on college campuses maybe).

Amazon is the important one.

Message 32 of 53
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

So Sallie Mae gives 5% CB on non book purchases from Amazon.com?
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 33 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MoreRewards wrote:

Yes, up to $750 per month

Message 34 of 53
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:

Yes, up to $750 per month

Do you need a Salie Mae card? There is a sign up page on upromise.com and I didn't see whether you need a sallie mae card..

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 35 of 53
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Yeah, just go to salliemae.com
And it's there
Not on Barclay or I promise site.. A little hidden
Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 36 of 53
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@angelcred10 wrote:

Always hearing about this Sallie Mae Card, that much better than BCE?

I never noticed those are pretty high %'s back!

May go apply...

Sallie Mae Rewards card is better than a BCE. You did see the spreadsheets earlier in this post, right Smiley Wink

Agree.  One great use of this forum would be to educate people that you shouldn't get card X because card Y is better, but we keep seeing people getting the BCE.   To reiterate without the chart:

There is almost no spend point where the BCE is the card to get.   If you spend relatively little on gas and groceries, the Sallie Mae is better.  If you spend ~ $6K on groceries (including gift cards)  BCP may be better (but still get the free Sallie Mae as well for the gas and Amazon) and if you spend a lot (either real or manufactured) the Blue Cash is the card to have.   And if you spend enough at select department stores (the advantage of BCP/BCE over SM) then again the BCP would be better.

The exception is if you want your first Amex, or an additional Amex for backdating.  But even then, now the Everyday might be a better choice.

"Enough" would be an amount over $7500.  So it's a small niche, but BCE could definitely be advantageous with the right spending habits. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 37 of 53
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Ok according to what i read it's on everything but digital purchases. Has anyone purchased gift cards & got the 5%? I used my Chase Freedom Q4 solely on gift cards for the Amazon CB.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 38 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@angelcred10 wrote:

May go apply...

Sallie Mae Rewards card is better than a BCE. You did see the spreadsheets earlier in this post, right Smiley Wink

Agree.  One great use of this forum would be to educate people that you shouldn't get card X because card Y is better, but we keep seeing people getting the BCE.   To reiterate without the chart:

There is almost no spend point where the BCE is the card to get.   If you spend relatively little on gas and groceries, the Sallie Mae is better.  If you spend ~ $6K on groceries (including gift cards)  BCP may be better (but still get the free Sallie Mae as well for the gas and Amazon) and if you spend a lot (either real or manufactured) the Blue Cash is the card to have.   And if you spend enough at select department stores (the advantage of BCP/BCE over SM) then again the BCP would be better.

The exception is if you want your first Amex, or an additional Amex for backdating.  But even then, now the Everyday might be a better choice.

"Enough" would be an amount over $7500.  So it's a small niche, but BCE could definitely be advantageous with the right spending habits. 

That's assuming no gas or grocery purchases though.  But yes, if you don't buy gas or groceries, and don't have a 2% card, and spend up to $7500 at select department stores, then yes, the BCE is OK.

Message 39 of 53
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@angelcred10 wrote:

May go apply...

That's assuming no gas or grocery purchases though.  But yes, if you don't buy gas or groceries, and don't have a 2% card, and spend up to $7500 at select department stores, then yes, the BCE is OK.

On the other hand, the US Bank Cash+ can select all Dept Stores for 5% cash back, which beats 2% only on a select few. For that matter, a Huntington Voice card can select Department stores AND Electronics stores for 3% cash back (both are in the same category)...

Oh, and I don't like the look of the BCE. Not blue enough, I guess.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.