cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

had bank of america account for over 1 year with no social security number added to it

tag
voidman
Established Contributor

Re: had bank of america account for over 1 year with no social security number added to it

yes 3 weeks is short and you need (I think) atleast 6 months of credit history to get a credit score. But you know, 6 months is too short for shopping for better rates and credit limit.

Also I am not sure if CBs harvest SSN from social security, besides Social Security office has nothing to do with your credit history or score. 

I can understand you problem with getting a card, I have gone through it, (maybe) I was lucky to get a secured card from WF early on.

-void
Message 11 of 30
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

Re: had bank of america account for over 1 year with no social security number added to it

As a foreign student, you are not suppose to work off campus/work more than 20 hrs/week. They have conditions when they give you your SS card with a special stamp on it. Becareful, DHS may take it back if you misuse it. SSN doesn't give you permission to do things that other US citizens and non-citizens/residents can do.

/source: I was a foreign student before.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should try applying for a amex blue student card , citibank student cards and discover student cards. You should have no problem getting approved for it since they give you a chance to build your credit history as a first time user. Your university information might be verified and employment and you do get decent limits.

Source: I am a foreign student and i had no problems getting approved for the above mentioned cards which i applied for after getting my SSN approx days after.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 30
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Amex doesn't offer the student blue anymore. Discover wants to see at least a couple of accounts in good standing that's what they told me and citi is inquiry sensitive they think anything more than 2 inquiries in 6 months is too much from what they told me also. They seem to mislead the public saying no cosigner needed and no history needed even though the denial letter says not enough history
amazon
Message 14 of 30
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

My recommendation is to join a credit union because they seem to be easier to get a card with and are willing to help you unlike banks. When everyone else denied me credit unions were the first cards I was able to get you would be surprised how helpful they can be. They want to help their members. It's at least a start to build from scratch and move on to bigger and better cards from there.
amazon
Message 15 of 30
dougie109
Established Member

Im not sure where you are going with trying to do things other americans can do? I am perfectly legal from what my school has instructed me to do with application to the social security so that i can work on campus. And you are correct 20 hours is the max per week however im well under that as well. What are you trying to say?

I think im just going to wait a few months before i apply for any more and until a score finally shows up. Paying 10 bucks a month is just not a good decision in my eyes.

Thanks for all your help!

In My Wallet:
| Chase Sapphire Preferred (01/2014) | Penfed Platinum Cash preferred (01/2014 | NFCU cashRewards (01/2014 | Citi Diamond Preferred (01/2014 | Walmart Discover (01/2014 | Bank Of Americard (04/2012) | Capital One Quicksilver Visa (08/2010) | Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (12/2010) | Amex Zync (04/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | Discover more (12/2011) |
Transunion 720 Experian 728 Equafax 704
Message 16 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you have no credit cards, waiting 6 months is not going to give you a credit score... you have to get some kind of credit.

some poeople had success with citi forward with no score, but my friend was declined.

now you said you applied to best buy, was that the store card or the mastercard?

You won't get the store, but that same friend that was denied citi, was granted $100 with Best Buy MC with no credit score...

Message 17 of 30
dougie109
Established Member

it was to the best buy mastercard which i think is HSBC. Did you mean the store card?

In My Wallet:
| Chase Sapphire Preferred (01/2014) | Penfed Platinum Cash preferred (01/2014 | NFCU cashRewards (01/2014 | Citi Diamond Preferred (01/2014 | Walmart Discover (01/2014 | Bank Of Americard (04/2012) | Capital One Quicksilver Visa (08/2010) | Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard (12/2010) | Amex Zync (04/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | Discover more (12/2011) |
Message 18 of 30
dougie109
Established Member

I applied for the store card and now the credit card. it would seem like the two are linked.

Would you suggest doing the prepaid card to build credit then? Again i have absolutely no idea about building credit, just what ive learned from reading posts by others. Myfico customer service said some score would show up after 6 months maybe they were wrong.

I have now applied to chase cc Denied, bank of america - denied, bank of america secured card and denied.

Can you tell me something... Does having a campus job benefit my any in terms of credit? Like having a job that direct deposits to my account?

Thanks

Douglas

In My Wallet:
Message 19 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

apply for the capital one secured card

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.