Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard Inquiries

tag
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

hard Inquiries

A quick question, just how hard is your credit hit with hard inquiries?   I have nine, in the last two yrs and they say that's a lot .  But the real catch 22 is, no one will tell you what score they need, so you don't have to pull one. If the score isn't  enough, why go any farther? It just dings your credit even more. makes no sense.Smiley Frustrated

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: hard Inquiries

@jnkp2001 wrote:

A quick question, just how hard is your credit hit with hard inquiries?   I have nine, in the last two yrs and they say that's a lot .  But the real catch 22 is, no one will tell you what score they need, so you don't have to pull one. If the score isn't  enough, why go any farther? It just dings your credit even more. makes no sense.Smiley Frustrated

The system is designed such that inquiries are supposed to show everyone that you're seeking additional credit.  Old school, many inquiries translated to your needing money badly... ergo, not a good risk.

These days I think inquiries are less penalty, and increasing numbers of inquiries have diminishing returns on one's report... and from the work HTSU did a while back, it appears to be a step function too in the sense that not every inquiry is going to count against you at all until you reach a new threshold for inquiry count.  Anything past 9 is probably gravy and statistically will have little chance to impact your score right now, though it may keep your score artificially depressed for the year it remains on the report.

In any event, they can't get the score without the inquiry (assuming new customer relationship, or maybe current too actually), it's not about purposely damaging the report just because they can, lenders are tied into the system the same way we are as consumers, though admittedly they get more say and can color outside the lines somewhat (CLI's on SP's for example).

I'm firmly of the opinion that we overstate the damage of inquiries on this forum, with the exception of leading up to a mortgage where if you reach a score breakpoint, you're saving 10's of thousands of dollars over the course of the loan.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.