cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone ever used chase to book their car rental?

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

has anyone ever used chase to book their car rental?

I am trying to make the cheapest vacation in history not paying for the flight, room, and car. I know I have the room down my family has a timeshare and is letting me use it for a week. For the flight, I either have 50k points on us air (American) and soon to have 50k points on southwest so I should be all set there. Now that leaves the car.  I have about 20k UR points and as soon as my bonus spending for the southwest card is over almost all of my spending will go to freedom/csp to get more UR points. I was shocked to see how cheap the prices were booking thru chase. I have a national executive emerald club card and tried to see how much a convertible was thru them. 787 for the week!! Going thru chase UR and using national again for the same convertible it was $308! 61% savings. Plus i get to use my UR points and they even allow me to put in my executive club number to get points with them. Is there a catch that I am missing it sounds too good to be true? 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: has anyone ever used chase to book their car rental?

Not booked a rental car through the UR portal, but I'd advise against using UR points through the portal if possible. If you are willing to spend cash now instead of points, you might get much better valuation for those points when you transfer them for use through various partners. I realize some people like the simplicity of using points through the portal, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are aware that with a little bit more effort/planning UR points can be worth quite a bit more. 

Either way, congratulations on your vacation and good luck!

Message 2 of 11
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not booked a rental car through the UR portal, but I'd advise against using UR points through the portal if possible. If you are willing to spend cash now instead of points, you might get much better valuation for those points when you transfer them for use through various partners. I realize some people like the simplicity of using points through the portal, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are aware that with a little bit more effort/planning UR points can be worth quite a bit more. 

im ok with it. It is still a better redemption than cash back at 1.25 or basically for every 1000 ur points they will give me $12.50 towards a car rental. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

im ok with it. It is still a better redemption than cash back at 1.25 or basically for every 1000 ur points they will give me $12.50 towards a car rental. 

@bigblue7722,

Thats true.  I have used Chase to book a car when I had a day trip to Maryland.  Very simple and easy.  The price you are getting are etched in stone and not a trick.  So try it as I liked it alot.

Message 4 of 11
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigblue7722,

Thats true.  I have used Chase to book a car when I had a day trip to Maryland.  Very simple and easy.  The price you are getting are etched in stone and not a trick.  So try it as I liked it alot.

That is awesome good to know the price is not going to change. Thank you Chase for making things so simple I will always do business with them. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bigblue7722,

That is awesome good to know the price is not going to change. Thank you Chase for making things so simple I will always do business with them. 

Right there with you.  My first love is Chase and will always be...Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
flan
Regular Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The rates I've seen when I've looked were far inferior to what I could get elsewhere, so not a good deal. 

Message 7 of 11
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I generally see prices that are higher.  I'm surprised to see that you found a deal.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 8 of 11
bch238
Regular Contributor

No because I get a much better rate using my AmEx Platinum discount code booking directly with Hertz and paying in advance with CSP.
FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 9 of 11
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

I generally see prices that are higher.  I'm surprised to see that you found a deal.

im wondering if i am trying to book too far in advance? I went on orbitz to see the price difference heres what i found:

car.jpg

This is what i found from chase same time frame same aiport ect...

cars 2.jpg

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.