cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have a lot of money to spend, which card shall I apply for welcome bonus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

have a lot of money to spend, which card shall I apply for welcome bonus?

Hi, I recently need to spend a lot of momey for tuition, and would like to use it for welcome bonus. I openned Alaska in April, Chase BA, AARP, boa merrill lynch, FNBO travel in May, and three barclays in June. I just got rejected from Hyatt, so I guess not able to get any other Chase. I have 10+ plus hard pulls on EX within 6 month, so probably could not get any from bank pull EX, but here in Californina it seems all major banks pull EX except Barclay. I have very few pulls from TU, EQ, and 750+ scores, but are unfamiliar with those small banks' cards.

Could any of you suggest some card pulling TU, EQ, that offers a reasonably good bonus? I can only find Penfed visa and Synchrony cathy now.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your replies & suggestions!

1, I will pay the bill off every month, so not sensitive to interest, and will not do balance transfer.

2, I am sure I can paid tuition with credit card with no fee, as I have done before.

3, I have almost every card from chase that are not 524.

I have citi AA, hilton so won't be able to receive bonus due to 1/24. I don't have TYP, but I think citi are sensitive to new accounts& HP so probably should not apply for presitage at this time.

I think the same thing for BOA.

I have a lot of AMEX as well.

I got rejected by capital one and us bank recently for too many accounts & HP.

Just got 3 barclays in one day, I don't think can get any more.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: have a lot of money to spend, which card shall I apply for welcome bonus?

My honest suggestion would be to not apply for any more cards for 6 to 18 months - depending on your profile, but the Chase denial seems to be a clear indicator of what I'm saying.

Are you sure you can pay your tuition with a credit card?

Good luck either way.
Message 2 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think that PenFed will probably be sensitive to the new accounts.

AMEX pulls Experian, but you could check their pre-qualification tool to see what it says. If offers come through with definite interest rates rather than a wide range (say 15% or 15–18% rather than something like 12–23%), you might have a shot with them.

Normally, I'd suggest gardening. But given your circumstances, it might be worth the risk of trying. If you have success, I'd quit while I was ahead. Multiple new cards at this point could possibly spook existing lenders.

Message 3 of 15
happypill
Valued Contributor

Capital One has a good sign-on bonus of $400 for the Venture.  You didn't mention Citi an AA or TY card could be a possibility.  Penfed and NFCU are good as well, but their bonuses aren't as large.  US Bank is offering a juicy sign-on for the Altitude.  You can look at Chase cards not subject to 5/24 as well.

It will get more difficult for you with certain lenders if you have a lot of inquiries and new accounts, especially in the past 6 months.  

Message 4 of 15
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@tub tuition can be paid with a credit card. I'm paying both of my children's tuition this month on my card. Cash back & 0% is hard to resist!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:
@tub tuition can be paid with a credit card. I'm paying both of my children's tuition this month on my card. Cash back & 0% is hard to resist!

Well it varies from place to place.   I couldn't use credit cards for my childrens university tuition, ACH or check were the options.   Pity because it was a lot of money!

ETA: so you credit card junkies with kids about to do decide where to apply, add "do they accept credit cards with no (or very small) additional fee" as one of the major selection criteria.   After all, quality, location, class size, all very nice but not nearly as important as meeting bonus spend on a bunch of new cards....

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you're paying the tuition with the card and then carrying that balance for a period of time thereafter as well?
Message 7 of 15
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I'm carrying it for 90 days.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No way to guarantee which CRA will be HP'd. CU's seem to not be as Ex-happy as the commercial lenders.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just provide this caution which I am sure you might already know. When paying for tuition alot of universities are charging "convenience fees" which can be up to 3% (well at least at Texas A & M) I am currently in my second year in my doctoral program and was tempted at first to use credit card. Until I figured the points earned would not provide any real incentive, unless you find an awesome card that offers a good bonus. Just something to think about, good luck!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.