Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help me get the most rewards

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: help me get the most rewards

"Optimize" is a pretty subjective term. Some would argue that if you really want to optimize your cash back, you should keep it simple i.e. not 5 or 6 cards. "Optimize" does not necessarily mean "get the most cash back"; rather making your cash back easy, effective, and functional.

To me, having $5 in cash rewards spread on 5 cards is a waste of time. You will rack it up more painlessely if you concentrate the majority of your spending on a "general spend" cashback card like Quicksilver or Double Cash and throw in a 5% rotator (Freedom or Discover, whatever you prefer, I like Discover), and maybe another category card if you want it. I have racked up by far the most cash back from simply QS and Discover, and it keeps it pretty simple and headache free. Now, this may not work for everyone but for me it is definitely optimized because I rack up cash easily. I buy only what I was going to buy anyway, and the rewards add up pretty quickly despite not always using the "maximum cash back" card available for the situation (i.e. I don't use my Sallie that much).

You'll find your own comfort zone but I have found that bouncing around from card to card depending on each transaction is a PITA and causes you to end up with too many tiny amounts of cash back, which some issuers will NOT let you redeem until a certain point (luckily Discover and Capital One are not like that). Good luck with whatever approach you decide on.

Message 11 of 17
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

What region do you live in, Chevyguy?  I ask because WalMart advised me that their categories are by region and that the region I live in WalMart is coded only as merchandise and the 5% does not apply.  IMO that is wrong, food is food, whether in Siberia or Texas. 

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 12 of 17
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Not at my Walmart or Target.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Yup. I just checked. At Walmart I'm getting 5% Smiley Happy

Yes, one of the reasons Sallie Mae is so popular, unlike the Amex Blue Cash family, it will often give 5% at Walmart and Traget 

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 13 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

What region do you live in, Chevyguy?  I ask because WalMart advised me that their categories are by region and that the region I live in WalMart is coded only as merchandise and the 5% does not apply.  IMO that is wrong, food is food, whether in Siberia or Texas. 

Might try starting a new thread instead of reviving one that is 4 1/2 months old. Will probably get a better response with a thread that is dedicated to your specific question. I'm not sure how walmarts are coded here since I don't have any nearby that I visit. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 17
whiteknight1971
Regular Contributor

I agree with your thoughts about card usage and going to appy your ideas to my own spending patterns

Message 15 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

None of my Walmarts code as grocery when I've tried (I'm in Delaware). I don't really care, since my Target is more convenient and I have the redcard.

Message 16 of 17
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Great idea, red.

@red259 wrote:

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

Might try starting a new thread instead of reviving one that is 4 1/2 months old. Will probably get a better response with a thread that is dedicated to your specific question. I'm not sure how walmarts are coded here since I don't have any nearby that I visit. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.