Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help w/ building credit and getting CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

help w/ building credit and getting CC

Hello! So ive got kind of a wierd credit history, i had a best buy card started in 05 and used it a few times always paid it off, eventually it was closed for lack of use. then about 04 i got a car loan w/ my dad as cosignor and about half way thru he passed away, it was paid as agreed no lates, then 10 or 11 i got my own loan through wells for about $19k at 17% i did it just to build credit and i paid off the loan after about a year and a half because of the high rate. I applied for a couple CCs a year ago and was denied (one was a really hard to get card but the other was my local CU that ive had my business acct w/ for 3+ years w/ over $100k in it) I want to buy a house soon and need to build up my Credit quick. im currently a 664 TU and 628 EQ according to creditkarma. i have no derogatory or lates but im super thin file... i have alot of pulls on EQ because of my business i own for insurance and things of that nature. What should i do? I want a decent CC that i can just start paying daily business expenses w/ and pay it down quickly. Thanks

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: help w/ building credit and getting CC

Im thinking of trying one of the pre approval links for a CC, i wanted to do Barclays since they use TU primarily but looks like they no longer have a pre approval area...?

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

heres what KK says about me, its really irritating it says no payment history when ive paid 2 auto loans as agreed...

Your Credit Scores
Provided by

Provided by

Congratulations! We've found a great offer for you based on your credit score!

Discover it® 772 Cardholder Reviews
Approval Odds†

• 0% intro APR on purchases & balance transfers for 12 months - then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
    • Exclusive offer: Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your 1st year - automatically.*
… show more

Factors Impacting Your Scores

Credit Card Utilization High Impact

Your credit card utilization is the percentage of your credit limits that you're using. Learn More

No Info Available
No Info Available
>
Payment History High Impact

The percentage of payments that you’ve made on time helps show how reliable you are in meeting your billing obligations. Learn More

No Info Available
No Info Available
>
Derogatory Marks High Impact

Accounts in collections, bankruptcies, civil judgments, and liens are items on your credit report. Learn More

>
Age of Credit History Medium Impact

The amount of time your credit accounts have been open, averaged across all of your accounts. Learn More

No Info Available
No Info Available
>
Total Accounts Low Impact

This metric represents the total number of accounts listed on your credit reports. Learn More

>
Credit Inquiries Low Impact

This number represents the number of hard inquiries reported on your credit over the last two years. Learn More

>

Recommended Articles

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, use caution using Credit Karma's recommendations, it is often faulty advice. If I were you I would look for a card that is easy to get, don't try to get a "good card" as they are most likely out of your reach. Check Capital One's preapproval page on their site. Worst case get a secured card.  Don't go by CK scores either, they are not Fico scores.

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just went to Chases pre approval and it said "your pre qualified credit card offers and showed me slate and freedom card, am i actually approved for these or do they just want me to apply? Is there some where else i should find my real scores for a better idea what to do?

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just google preapproved credit card and most of the major cards that do preapprovals show up. Watch for the ones that say something like "You are pre approved to apply." I think Bank of America does that.
Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually just went to Chases pre approval and it said "your pre qualified credit card offers and showed me slate and freedom card, am i actually approved for these or do they just want me to apply? Is there some where else i should find my real scores for a better idea what to do?

Welcome to MyFico.  You can get your real scores from here.  As a friendly reminder, never base any application decision on CK recommendations.  Also, if you are pre-approved on Chase website, it is not an "automatic" approval" as you can still get declined.

But being pre-approved on thier site is 80% solid.

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase shows me nothing for what its worth.
Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know exactly how business credit works, but it sounds like you are wanting it to show up on your personal credit file.

I am pretty sure there are ways to apply for credit cards and not have them report to your file but in your situation maybe this would help?

Capital One has Spark Cash for business that yields unlimited 2% cash back with a small annual fee. Maybe you could get in the door with them with one of their lower end cards first.

You may be better off sticking with your credit union at first. I'd hate to see you have to waste your time with the crappier cards. 

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome and responses! Can i add pics on here? I want to show the screen Chase gave me after the pre approval to see if its a legit offer or just a bait to apply.... I do want this for my personal file not my business and my CU is not gonna do anything until i finish my taxes which are in the works right now and i want to get started building now.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.