Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help w/ building credit and getting CC

tag
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

Re: help w/ building credit and getting CC

When you call discover just tell them you are trying to build up a credit profile and your reasons for doing so. You may sway an analyst by letting them you that you understand how credit works. The review is likely because you have no or an extremely small credit profile.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 41 of 44
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

As far as letting a small balance report, find out when your statement will cut. You can either call and try and request this info or wait until you get your first payment notice and the day they tell you what you owe that month will be the day after the statement was closed. It is typically 3 weeks before your due date. Once you have this info you would want to pay off the card except for 10 dollars or so 2-3 days before the statement closes and then not use the card until after you get your payment amount notice. This way you will be certain that the amount owed on the card is reported as the 10 dollar balance to the credit agencies.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 42 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover was a no go... I called Recon and she straight up said that even as a Mgr. there is nothing they can do that they strckly adhere to their app process and all she could do was explain reasons or discuss how to build future credit but under no circumstance or reasons could a different decision be made... not to stoked about getting another hard pull for nothing but i guess i got greedy. lol   I dont see any pull from B of A so thats good but Cap 1 pulled from Eq and Tu both twice one for each card and Chase just TU. How long do you think all these inquiries will have a negative effect after i start really utilizing all my new cards? Thanks everyone for the help, especially Jeff!  Any other tips to help grow my credit as fast as possible so i can start looking for a house ASAP are welcomed and appreciated!

Message 43 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How ca i  let the statement cut and then PIF. and time my purchases just right, so i can let a balance post on the statement and still not have to pay interest. Like the gentleman above said?

You don't have to time anything perfectly. Your card's website will tell you the statement close date and the payment due date. Whatever the balance is on the statement close date, is what you will owe on the due date.

The due date is usually 25 days after the statement close date. As long as you pay the balance owed on or by the due date, no interest is charged.

The easiest way to do it is to just use the card website to set up autopay, to pay the last statement balance on the due date. 

Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.