Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with BT on Cap1 card

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

help with BT on Cap1 card

Hello MyFico friends

Just got an offer for 0% promo APR for 12 months with 1% BT fee  from Cap1  that I would like to accept. Since I have never  done a BT in my life I am not sure if the info I have received from the Cap1 rep is really correct. He  told me it would not be subject to cash advance fees or any other fees than the 1% BT fee if I deposit the check into my bank account. Is this really  correct? Just has to be paid back in 12 months otherwise regular APR kicks in.  Has anybody done this before on a Cap1 card? Is there anything I should be aware of that I might not realize now as a newbie with BTs?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: help with BT on Cap1 card

@lg8302ch wrote:

Hello MyFico friends

Just got an offer for 0% promo APR for 12 months with 1% BT fee  from Cap1  that I would like to accept. Since I have never  done a BT in my life I am not sure if the info I have received from the Cap1 rep is really correct. He  told me it would not be subject to cash advance fees or any other fees than the 1% BT fee if I deposit the check into my bank account. Is this really  correct? Just has to be paid back in 12 months otherwise regular APR kicks in.  Has anybody done this before on a Cap1 card? Is there anything I should be aware of that I might not realize now as a newbie with BTs?

If they send you a check then you should see terms on the page or back with the check.  But many banks allow Balance Transfer checks to be put directly into your bank account these days and still consider it a BT.  1% and 0% for a year is a pretty great deal, especially from Capital One!

Message 2 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Hello MyFico friends

If they send you a check then you should see terms on the page or back with the check.  But many banks allow Balance Transfer checks to be put directly into your bank account these days and still consider it a BT.  1% and 0% for a year is a pretty great deal, especially from Capital One!

Thanks. That is why I am getting weak and start bad habits ..Smiley Happy..  on the checks it does not say anything but the 1% BT fee  but you can use it for  BT, Medical bills, College tuition and books, Familiy vacation, Moving expenses, Car repair, Home improvement, etc.. the list is quite long.

So it looks that it should not have any cash advance fees. And to avoid paying any interest on  purchases  it probably should not be used for new purchases during the BT promo period.  I could deal with that as I have card that give me 2% on everything so I can leave Cap1 with 1,5% alone for a while .

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Hello MyFico friends

Thanks. That is why I am getting weak and start bad habits ..Smiley Happy..  on the checks it does not say anything but the 1% BT fee  but you can use it for  BT, Medical bills, College tuition and books, Familiy vacation, Moving expenses, Car repair, Home improvement, etc.. the list is quite long.

So it looks that it should not have any cash advance fees. And to avoid paying any interest on  purchases  it probably should not be used for new purchases during the BT promo period.  I could deal with that as I have card that give me 2% on everything so I can leave Cap1 with 1,5% alone for a while .

it's best if you can leave the card unused while paying a BT just to keep things simple... you can pay new purchases off with a BT but you have to figure out the regular minimum and payment on BT PLUS then all of the new charges to make a payment large enough for them to pay those off.... if you just leave it alone and use it just for the bt, could work out very well.

Message 4 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Oh forgot to ask. Are BT done with HP or are the offers based on recent SP?

Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

BT's require no pullSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

BT's require no pullSmiley Wink

Thanks MJ.. that is wonderful news so I will do my very first BT check into my checking account .. cannot do a real BT as I paid of a 4K medical bill just about a week prior but it would be nice to have the money back  on the checking account instead. Cap1 had a bit bad timing with the offer otherwise it would have been a great way to pay off the medical bill and a real BT.

Message 7 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Finally could not resist and took advantage of that tempting  BT offer  from Cap1. What did I do wrong?  I have the money already in my bank account but nothing on the Cap1 credit card ?  Yesterday I  did mobile deposit the check and today the money is on my account. Hmm.. that was extremely easy and quick but wonder what happened as it is not charged on the credit card yet. Still have the full 10K credit line. Is this normal?

Message 8 of 11
rlx01
Established Contributor

Yes - transactions in the US (with the exception of wires) are not real time.

Checks take 2-3 days to clear. Your bank is trusting that the check will clear. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Some banks release funds before the transaction is cleared. Usually if you have account in good standing they'll do this up to a certain amount.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.