Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with selection pls..

tag
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

help with selection pls..

For EQ 576 (FICO) , could someone please tell me which card to app for? NCFU, Credit One and Capital One are my choices so far. I only have one credit card and would like one more. I have one unpaid chargeoff from chase for 1600$ and one overdrawn checking for 124 but showing 800 (fighting it tooth and nail..). I thought I will apply for these after my AU on my brother's BOA card shows up on my reports but its been a month and a half its still not showing and I have kind of given it up on that one. I am thinking about store cards too but again, dont know much about them.

Thanks for the advice.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: help with selection pls..

Macy's

Capital one if they are pre-qual for you (still not a sure thing but pretty good chance if they are)

not sure how low NFCU will go.

how about a secured Bank Of America of your own? 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

-

Message Edited by LilMirth on 03-13-2009 06:16 AM
Message 3 of 6
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I knew I asked a similar question (is it time yet..thread) and I was kind of hoping you would not see this new thread..lol...But my score is not moving and my simulator tells me id get some points if i get a new card or if i let the accounts age. Nothing really if I pay the collection and chargeoff off. I know it will not change the score though but I am looking for even a small improvement. I have already got rid of 3 or 4 negs in the last two months depending on which report they are on. I am trying very hard to get rid of the chase charge off. I am offering a 1000 pfd for a debt that I really only owe 700 on. The junkers AAC bought the debt at 1375 for 3 or 4 cents to a dollar I am sure and they wont agree for 1000 PFD! Greedy SOBs think theyd extract it all. The first time I called some guy told me its still brand new account! I know AAC just purchased the debt but the SOL in Louisiana or AL where I live now is 3 years for revolving. And the DOLA/DOFD is October 2006. So I am thinking if they dont want the 1000 and are being a huge PIA with frustrating DV responses, I am gonna hold off.

Ditto with FBCS for the BOA checking. Ive tried everything, got them down to 200 from 800 on a checking that only was -124 but they wont do a pfd. 

Do you really think my score would jump to mid 600s with paid settled and no pfds? If thats the case, i will go ahead and pay them. But like I explained above, after having gotten rid of some negs, the score didnt budge nad these guys wont pfd.  I do understand what you are saying regarding sub prime cards but then I am loosing it at times..sigh! good though that i havent caved in yet. Only 4 inquiries in the last 1.5 yrs so far.

I applied for cap 1 on 1st jan this year and was denied and that is when i started my credit rebuilding process. I dint know a thing until then and thanks to these forums, I have gained a lot of knowledge and have been fairly succesfull with some and atleast dint screw myself with other a/cs. Thankfully, I cant app for cap 1 again for 90 days or HSBC for 18 months. I got them both in Jan first week. Please let me know if you strongly think that my scores would jump to mid 600s if i get rid of those two negs.Id of course rather have an amex delta or a BOA platinum or any other card. No simulation shows any such scenarios but the simulator has been wrong atleast once so far.  Thanks again for your reply.

Incidentally, i GWed CITI and they straightened everything out on EQ and TR. i.e changed charge off to paid /current with no lates. However, they did leave two lates on EXP. I was wondering, is it cause they pull exp and dont want me to app to them at this stage?  Idi write in my GW that i started my credit with CITI and the  day I getmy CITI back wil be a true account of my success in credit rebuilding and all...

Pls. excuse the typos...pulled two two straight shifts and am also in grad school which isnt looking that good...my grades? under dispute! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 03-12-2009 07:42 PM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When/if you pay the Chase collection without receiving a PFD agreement that account is going to update and the DOLA will reflect the date that you paid them...your score WILL go down.  On the other hand it will look better than an unpaid collection if you ever have a manual review.

I don't know that you're ready to apply for another card right now, and I think Capital One may have toughened up a little in the past year. The credit pull database that I checked showed approvals at 580-590 in 2008, but the more recent approvals all had scores 30-40 points above those.

When I received my 1st Cap One 7 years ago my reports were MUCH worse than yours...scores maybe low to mid 500s...recently dismissed BK, plus at least 4-5 COs.  Horrible, but they took a chance on me. I've never in the 8 years since then been late on anything.  My scores are all high 700s now,even with the BK still showing, and in the past 2 weeks I've apped and received 3 new cards...Discover More, Citi Plat, and USBank

This is all to tell you to be as patient as you can...and Yes, apply for the Cap One as soon as your scores look a little better....even if you end up with a crappy limit.  I couldn't have done it without them.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops! Sorry. I'll edit out my initial reply, then. LOL! Smiley Happy

@nothingman02 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I knew I asked a similar question (is it time yet..thread) and I was kind of hoping you would not see this new thread..lol...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.