New Visitor
cisco81

high APR balance buried under low APR balance

I goofed up big time. I transfered a balance at 3.99% APR to a card that already had a balance at 0% APR.  I thought that the 0% was for the life of the balance, but I was mistaken-- today I called to make sure, and it turns out the 0% APR expires this month, and goes up to 15%.  Both balances are around $10,000 each.

So now I have $10,000 at 15% APR buried beneath another $10,000 at 3.99% APR.  Is there anything that can be done about this (short of transfering all $20,000 to another card)? 

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: high APR balance buried under low APR balance

nope, you will have to transfer all 20k
Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
Cleanmachine

Re: high APR balance buried under low APR balance

[ Edited ]

You could try to obtain a short personal loan of $20,000.00 (30 to 60 days) where you handle your financial affairs and pay off Cap One. Once paid go back to Cap One and try another 3.99% balance transfer and pay off your personal loan.

Not sure the APRs for personal loans may be, but I would guess it would be lower than that 15% APR.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Good luck

Message Edited by Cleanmachine on 12-19-2008 05:39 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}