Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high number of accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

high number of accounts

i have 57 open credit card accounts.    should i cancel newer accounts opened? how many  should i cancel? i do not want to lower my score which is almost 800. any insight?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: high number of accounts

If the accounts are not hurting your credit, which with 800, clearly they are not I wouldn't worry about it. I have 2 rolodex' to hold all my cards and I have them back to back!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the reply. the only negative in my report flags my number of open accounts as being too high. i am not complaining about my score, but in these times it seems as though a great score is getting higher and higher. i am just looking ahead as i do not need all these cards, but i am concerned i may lower my score by getting rid of some.  
Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you could start with the cards that you have more of 1 at the same bank and combine them together. that way you wouldn't loose any cl and wouldn't loose the oldest account but would consolidate down.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

great idea as i have multiple cards with a few banks. i never knew that. thanks. as for the rest of my excessive accounts i guess i should quit while i am ahead as my balences are very low.
Message 5 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

With a FICO score of 800, I wouldn't do anything. Your score is EXCELLENT, so if it ain't broken, why fix it.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks fused, i guess i have just worked hard on achieving good credit and hate to see anything negative in these times, especially.
Message 7 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

may i ask why the 2 of you (OP & CreditAddict) have so many cards in the first place?
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

haha, don't you see my name.

I use to keep old credit cards because I liked to lay them out on the floor and see what I use to have. I have gotten much better! it's a process.

but then I compare myself with the world record, he had 1146... ALL ACTIVE! 1.6 million in credit line i think it was.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd cancel any newer cards that have an annual fee.  No need to throw away that money!
Message Edited by Mike14 on 10-27-2008 10:07 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.