cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

highest limit? Amex (blue) or Amex (white) ?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: highest limit? Amex (blue) or Amex (white) ?

Everybody has their favorite, and as far a 'premium' goes, that's quite subjective.

All we can do here is say what we chose, and why we chose it.  I was/am a rebuilder myself, but honestly even if my credit was pristine, I wouldn't care too much about what others think.  For me, it's all about the rewards - it's that simple.

My cards aren't all that "sexy", but I've got my portfolio tweaked to give me the best "bang for the buck" I can get, for my personal spending pattern.  I am a fan of the American Express Blue Cash Preferred, specifically for the 6% back at the grocery store (and when Discover is out of 'season', for use at department stores).  I'm liking my Discover quite a bit right now for the 'double-cash' promotion - especially Amazon!  And finally, I'm a fan of the Sam's Mastercard for the 5% cash back for gas purchases and 3% cash back for travel/restaurant purchases (this helps me greatly with hotel stays).

If someone wants a card that's supposedly 'difficult' to get, just to say they were able to obtain it, I won't judge them for it.  I do, however, have a difficult time understanding the point of the exercise, since most approvals are done by computer, and the occasional manual review isn't worth paying an AF just to have a 'special' card on my credit report.

Just my 2¢

Message 31 of 33
score_building
Senior Contributor

Perhaps I missed something, but if OP is still unwilling to subscribe to Amex FR, isn't any Amex app a nonstarter.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 32 of 33
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which one gives higher limits ?

Neither.  It's a matter of your credit and income.

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true the one with highest APR gives the highest limit ?

No.  You get the limit that you qualify for.  You also get the APR that you qualify for.

@Anonymous wrote:

How is 2x points Supermarkets + 20% extra points on the everyday card better than the blue cash everyday card 3% Supermarkets?

As with any subject, better is subjective.  You need to run the numbers for your spend and look at MR redemptions to determine which is best for you.  I can't get much value out of an MR point so MR is a nonstarter for me.  The BCE isn't better for our spend but the BCP is.  YMMV.  With any comparison of rewards you need to run the numbers.  For programs like MR and UR you need to look beyond the sign on bonus (unless you're churning for sign on bonuses) and beyond the reward earn rates.

@Anonymous wrote:

Your score will reflect the APR you'll get. Thats pretty much it. Your utilization (available credit) and income will determine your limit probably.

It is never just a matter of score or one or two factors.  Your entire credit profile matters and has an impact on limit and APR.

@paramed3 wrote:

I have 5 credit cards none of which I read are premium. Capital one quicksilver probally the closest but still not a premium card meaning for people with very good to Excellent credit. I read there is a hard path to 800+ without premium cards. 

Incorrect.  Consumfer finance accounts can be a negative but "premium" in your context does not matter.  Your Quicksilver is not holding you down.  Focus on the standard factors and stop worrying over whether a card is "premium" or not.

@paramed3 wrote:

I looked at a blog that said the American Express Blue was the top rated card premium card for non wealthy people, There are betters ones but as most of you know for weathly people with 200-800 a year annual.  I want my first really good REWARDS card and so far its says AMEX blue or the BOA rewards and Citi card moving one down to Chase Sappire Preferred. 

Don't just rely on reviews and ratings.  As with any subject, better/good/etc are highly subjective.  Find the cards that suit your needs/wants.  If you're looking at rewards cards then run the number for your spend and review the rewards programs to find cards that are best suited to you.

@paramed3 wrote:

Some of you that have really done an excellent job at rebuild please weigh in. I have some good cards 1 bad rebuilt but can't cancel it so I continue to use it and pay it off each month. Some of you I see are up into top premium cards with very high CL. My total CL all 5 cards is around 23K.

Again, "premium" doesn't really mean anything and it really doesn't matter.  I was instantly approved for my first two $25K cards and I had no "premium" cards at the time.  It's your credit profile and income that will determine the limits that you qualify for -- not the branding of the cards that you carry.

My highest limit card isn't a "premium" card either.  It's just a plain ol' Visa Platinum.

@paramed3 wrote:

It has to look better on your credit file to have a card that requires Excellent credit than one that requires low of fair.

No, it does not.  Each creditor sets the underwriting critieria for their products.  The FICO algorithms and the systems that creditors use to determine approvals are not aware of such things (aside from a creditor's own criteria -- they don't know the criteria of other creditors) and are simply looking at one's credit profile (the standard factors).  If manual review is required it could possibly make a slight difference but IMO you're assuming far too much causality here.

@paramed3 wrote:

All I was asking if I do want one or move into an area where I want a premium card that requires high FICO or excellent credit like the BOA rewards or the Chase Sappire or the AMEX upper rewards cards which do you recommend.

"Premium" is meaningless.  I'm repeating myself again but select cards that suit you.  Do you own due diligence.  Run the numbers for your spend.  Carefully review rewards programs to ensure that you can make the most value with redemptions.

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.