Mega Contributor

Re: how bad are store cards really?

One question CreditFlunky.

Do have any accounts with Barclays? Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards are okay unless you have 20 of them. I have two store cards (well if you count care credit) and I use them. I don't think you should open cards because they're easy to get, you should open them because you will use them.
Message 22 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

how bad are store cards really?

I got a $350 Marisota "store card" a couple weeks ago to bring my total to around 65 store cards.  

I also got a Chase IHG card last week.

IHG.jpg

That dude Ron has a ton of store cards and his FICO is 800+ and is a Simmons card holder...one of the hardest Credit Card's to get.  Credit Addict also has quite a few store cards (along with a TON of regular credit cards)  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Another-pre-approval-at-the-checkout/td-p/3945052

I'll let YOU figure out how bad "store cards" really are Smiley Happy

Most people don't have the discipline to manage 5 store cards much less 50.

Message 23 of 79
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I actually was cruising along pretty well with my stack of SCT cards from Comenity until approved by Barclays and went after my 2nd card with them in the Sallie Mae. Totally teed them off, i jettisoned most of them.

Still can't get a Sallie Mae Card yet but to their credit they did help me see the light.

Message 24 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I actually was cruising along pretty well with my stack of SCT cards from Comenity until approved by Barclays and went after my 2nd card with them in the Sallie Mae. Totally teed them off, i jettisoned most of them.

Still can't get a Sallie Mae Card yet but to their credit they did help me see the light.

Have you been saved today? Smiley Tongue

Message 25 of 79
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Ron and Creditaddict are both great. CA in particular has given me great advice over the years. However I would strongly advise NOT following their examples!!!

Both of them are major leaguers; better for the rest of us to keep playing tee ball (ie just get the credit you need/can handle)
Message 26 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have Macy's and Kohl's. When I use the card, I pay in full right way when I get back home, while the charge is still pending... to avoid forgetting. 

Message 27 of 79
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I didn't mean to run him off with the Barclay's question Smiley Indifferent

Message 28 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dw4250 wrote:
Ron and Creditaddict are both great. CA in particular has given me great advice over the years. However I would strongly advise NOT following their examples!!!

Both of them are major leaguers; better for the rest of us to keep playing tee ball (ie just get the credit you need/can handle)

There is a stage you get to where it's not about the credit you amass, but the actual collection of tradelines or brands.

Message 29 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

One question CreditFlunky.

Do have any accounts with Barclays? Smiley Very Happy

Lol, yes, I finally got my Barclays; that was the one bank I was worried I might have problems with. 

I had to recon the second card and the rep looked at all my store cards and basically asked me "WTH is wrong with you?".  I said if I can handle 60+ store cards, surely I can handle 2 Barclays.  She said "I guess so".  Smiley Happy

BBVA-NBA.png

ATT_1429485794503_Barclays Ring.jpg.jpg

ATT_1429485752444_Cap1Venture.jpg.jpg

BBVA-NBA.png

Message 30 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.