Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I get a High Credit Limit 5k+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I get a High Credit Limit 5k+

Ok here is the deal I would like to geta 5k+ credit card just for emergencys and what not I currently know my Eq credit score is 692, I am not sure what my others areI currently have 4 credit cards with $0 balance and had all them for about 4 years now. here are the limits

Chase Limit $300  Balance $0

Capt 1  Limit $500  Balance $0

Circuit City  Limite $1400  Balance $0  <- this will never be used again out of business hehe

Best buy  Limit $1500 balance $0 

now these were all recent paid off and are showing the $0 balance on my credit report my EQ report says my history is to short about 5 years. so I think that would be the only reason I would be declined. I recently called Capt 1 back door number to get a credit limit increase and I was declined not sure why yet...

Does anyone know where I can get a 5k+ credit limit Visa or Mastercard easliy with my credit ??

One other thing to add I have never been late on any of my bills mortgage , car loan or credit cards ...

Message Edited by hopefully700soon on 03-17-2009 07:07 AM
Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established Contributor

Re: how do I get a High Credit Limit 5k+

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok here is the deal I would like to geta 5k+ credit card just for emergencies and what not I currently know my Eq credit score is 692, I am not sure what my others areI currently have 4 credit cards with $0 balance and had all them for about 4 years now. here are the limits

Chase Limit $300  Balance $0

Capt 1  Limit $500  Balance $0

Circuit City  Limite $1400  Balance $0  <- this will never be used again out of business hehe

Best buy  Limit $1500 balance $0 

now these were all recent paid off and are showing the $0 balance on my credit report my EQ report says my history is to short about 5 years. so I think that would be the only reason I would be declined. I recently called Capt 1 back door number to get a credit limit increase and I was declined not sure why yet...

Does anyone know where I can get a 5k+ credit limit Visa or Mastercard easily with my credit ??

One other thing to add I have never been late on any of my bills mortgage , car loan or credit cards ...

I doubt that you will get a $5,000 limit card over night in this current credit climate. I am thinking that you might be able to get a new Bank of America card, possibly with a $1,000 credit limit. Chase is your only prime bank (not store) card. Normally I would recommend to ask for a credit limit increase from Chase before trying for higher limits from new cards. Unfortunately Chase would do a hard pull for a CLI request. Since Chase would pull hard, it is usually advisable to apply for another Chase card instead. You however already have another Chase issued card (Circuit City). It is therefore best to obtain a new card from a bank that actively competes with Chase by giving higher limits than already possessed on existing Chase cards.

I wonder why your credit score is not higher with a five year history and  four year average age. Are there any negs at all that you have not mentioned? You mention mortgage and car loans, but don't provide details. Those details are important. Do you have other tradelines that you have not mentioned? Do you owe balances on those tradelines? Something seems to be missing in the summary of your credit file.

Another factor that is considered for credit limits is your income. One can't really give much specific advice about obtaining a $5K limit without knowing your income.

Congrats on being credit card debt free.

Message 12 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Kays Jewelers- but I doubt that in an emergency you'll want to spend 5Gs in jewelery. It's tough in this economy- even people taht have had perfect high cards for years are finding them being slashed.
Message 2 of 25
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes I think its better to wait for them to come to you. With your short history every new card is going to kill you AAoA. Can that circuit city card be turned into a regular card? Is it a store card or a Visa?

I was getting tons of junk offers, I ignored them all until out of the blue I got a pre-approval for a Chase Paltinum- I applied, and got a $4000 card. Funny thing is a month later I applied for a Amzaon/Chase card to get a 30 discount on an Amazon.com purchase and was denied. I actually called re-con and had them apply 1000 of the Plat credit line to an Amzaon card. Not the smartest move. So now I have the 3000 Chase Plat and a 1000 Amazon/Chase.

Message Edited by moondog7324 on 03-17-2009 07:19 AM
Message 3 of 25
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

I thought Circuit City cards could be converted into something else now that they were going out of business? 

Circuit City cards are underwritten by Chase Bank, so maybe you could convert to a Chase Freedom card or something similar?

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have asked chase to combine my 2 cards my circuit city and my chase and they said they acan't do but this was the front line maybe I could call a backdoor number ? what do you guys think what number should I call ?
Message 5 of 25
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Chase: 877-781-3109 (combining & product change)

I haven't called anything but backdoor numbers since finding this site. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 6 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

perhaps go with a product change 1st.  then  you should be able to combine.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try going to a credit union. Given your current credit lines, and short history, coupled with the current state of the financial sector, you might meet with frustration from the big banks. Or, you could score a higher limit card, and find it slashed before an applicable emergency arises. Banks are quickly cutting for lack of usage as much as declining credit profiles.

Credit Unions seem to be much better positioned financially, in spite of these troubled times. They want to lend money, and they don't have all of the constraints of the same constraints as the big banks. Further, they seem to be much more tolerant of low usage over time (of course, YMMV). In other words, I think you stand a better chance of getting a higher credit line to use with less frequency than you'd be compelled to use from a big bank, because the big bank would cut or close you for lack of use, or not using enough of your credit line.

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd try a credit union or Bank of America.  My first high limit was with Chase ($16K Amazon/Chase a few years ago), but given today's economy, I doubt they offer a $15+K initial CL any longer.  Bank of America was the easiest card (with most auto CLI's) I've ever had.

You might also consider Discover Card or Nordstrom Visa as they are their own banks (which tends to be easier in my mind) and not as troubled or needing bailout funds.

Initially, I got a Nordstrom Visa with a $10K line with a 720 score.

Message Edited by prettykitty on 03-17-2009 09:15 AM
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

do you think I should try a big credit union we have BECU ( boeing credit union) over here its decent size. or do you think its better to go with a slight small credit union ? . I am just trying to research all before doing a inquire you know.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.