Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do big banks view credit union CCs

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: how do big banks view credit union CCs

IMHO if you get a nice CL from a CU you won't want to go to a big bank again.  CUs rule.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 11 of 14
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Maybe it's a better idea to apply for a card that I actually plan on keeping right?

My list right now is:

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Amex BCE

I think Discover is more likely to give a higher initial CL 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 12 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

Depends on your goal.  My experinece on initial  CLs have been that they are more income based.  CLIs on the other hand are a whole diffrent animal.  No rhyme or reason there.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 14
daveg38
Established Contributor

In my opinion, since credit union membership at your small community CU means that your community is support your CC health as a whole, banks could look at small-time credit unions as 'secured' credit cards because regardless if you pay on time or default, the smaller CU will cover that tail just to save their own rating.

Larger CU's like USAA, NFCU or PenFed, which are government-backed to some degree, understand that they don't have to give you credit and can, when they do, offer to go out on a limb for your business since their internal risk is lower.  That's why USAA and NFCU give crazy starting lines to members of all risk levels.

Big banks have their work cut out for them, having to advertise their 'bread and butter' cards to leverage banking business altogether.  They don't need your business in the credit card department because they have other customers with investment, savings, checking and credit products with them - some since the 1930s.  Old money is safe money. 

At the end of the day, big bank CC's operate in bulk - for every 100 cards they pass out, they have an expected level of default figured into the bottom line.  CU's are careful and are willing to help you out - treat you like a PERSON, in other words - when in trouble.  (Ever seen the 'Can't pay your CC Bill' link in USAA? - find one of those in Chase)

Synopsis:  Who really cares how the big banks see the CU's since big banks run credit card 'mills' and CU's are community backed entities who care about your growth.  If not the case, wouldn't more CU's pull the most common big bank credit report - Experian?

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.