Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i get a card to report AU?

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

how do i get a card to report AU?

I've been AU on my parents Exxon CC for about 12 years now.  In fact they dont' even use the card.  I'm the only one that does.  My mom has called them at least 3 times & they state they do report AU but it is not showing on any of my credit reports.  (I have different last name/address than my parents & have never lived at the address they live at currently)  My mom even asked if they needed my SS# so they could report but they said no it was automatic.  Is there anything we can do as this has a high CL & is always PIF & the age would really help my score out.

On a different note my last CC I was approved for with a small local CU for only $500 I made my husband an AU just so he would have something if he needed it for an emergency & it is already reporting on his CR.   It looks like he is the account holder even though it is not a joint card at all.  When I added him as AU they did ask for his SS# which I suspected was so they could report it.  So now why can't Exxon get their act together??

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: how do i get a card to report AU?

Depending who the creditor is, your mom can go online to add you as an AU.   Without having your SSN, I don't  see how the tradeline can appear on your reports. 
Message Edited by DI on 11-18-2009 05:27 PM
Message 2 of 10
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I have added my wife and some of my children to several of my accounts.  It is not uncommon for them to not request a SSN but they can match people up by last name and current or previous address.  Since you don't have the same last name and have never lived at the same address you will have a problem getting your report to pick it up unless your mother can call and get them to use your SSN.   As I mentioned earlier, many don't ask for the AU's SSN. 
Message 3 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

The creditor is Exxon (Citi).  She specifically asked about giving them my ss# & they said it wasn't needed.  I think I just need to get her to call them back again.  This would really help my score with the perfect always PIF credit history for over 12 years plus the CL is higher than anything I've ever had.

Message 4 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

The creditor is Exxon (Citi).  She specifically asked about giving them my ss# & they said it wasn't needed.  I think I just need to get her to call them back again.  This would really help my score with the perfect always PIF credit history for over 12 years plus the CL is higher than anything I've ever had.

Yes, call them back or do it online.  It can be done online.  I added my Mom as an AU on a Citi account back in July. It is appearing on her credit reports.  I had to give them her SSN.  The CSR actually asked for it. 

Message 5 of 10
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I've been AU on my parents Exxon CC for about 12 years now.  In fact they dont' even use the card.  I'm the only one that does.  My mom has called them at least 3 times & they state they do report AU but it is not showing on any of my credit reports.  (I have different last name/address than my parents & have never lived at the address they live at currently)  My mom even asked if they needed my SS# so they could report but they said no it was automatic.  Is there anything we can do as this has a high CL & is always PIF & the age would really help my score out.

On a different note my last CC I was approved for with a small local CU for only $500 I made my husband an AU just so he would have something if he needed it for an emergency & it is already reporting on his CR.   It looks like he is the account holder even though it is not a joint card at all.  When I added him as AU they did ask for his SS# which I suspected was so they could report it.  So now why can't Exxon get their act together??

Do you live in the same city as your parents?  If so, maybe, you can tie it together by doing something as simple as an address change? (Temporarily, of course.) Have the bill sent to your parents' address for a few months, then change it back?  You'd know whether it worked right after the first reporting period.

Just a thought....

D-R

Message 6 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

Do you live in the same city as your parents?  If so, maybe, you can tie it together by doing something as simple as an address change? (Temporarily, of course.) Have the bill sent to your parents' address for a few months, then change it back?  You'd know whether it worked right after the first reporting period.

Just a thought....

D-R

That's a bit too much and won't solve the issue.  The OP can simply have his/her mom call back or go online to be added.  I've added numerous AU to my accounts without any problems.  All needed is a SSN, full name and address of the AU.  

Message Edited by DI on 11-19-2009 12:43 PM
Message 7 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

To answer some of the comments made the bill already goes to my parents' address in Florida. I live in Virginia. I'm already an AU on the card & have been since the card was opened so I don't need to be added on as I think I understand people are mentioning doing online.  I just need them to report I am an AU. 

I'll have my mom call them again.  This would really help me out I'm sure.  She even offered to add me as an AU on another card & just not even send me the card which is fine by me.  (I actually use the Exxon card)  Maybe I should suggest her AT&T Universal card that she's had for 20+ years & has $25,000 CL on.  Would that help my score significantly??

Message 8 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

To answer some of the comments made the bill already goes to my parents' address in Florida. I live in Virginia. I'm already an AU on the card & have been since the card was opened so I don't need to be added on as I think I understand people are mentioning doing online.  I just need them to report I am an AU. 

I'll have my mom call them again.  This would really help me out I'm sure.  She even offered to add me as an AU on another card & just not even send me the card which is fine by me.  (I actually use the Exxon card)  Maybe I should suggest her AT&T Universal card that she's had for 20+ years & has $25,000 CL on.  Would that help my score significantly??

Yes if the utilization remains below 9% on all the cards listed on your reports.  

Message 9 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

Yes if the utilization remains below 9% on all the cards listed on your reports.  

My util is higher than 9% but since her CL is like 25x what my highest is I'm thinking that may make my util look better.  They PIF all their cards & I doubt they run 25K through a month on this card.  Probably more like 1-2K if that. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.