Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do people get a usaa credit card?

tag
spartanspirit
Contributor

how do people get a usaa credit card?

i opened a savings account with usaa in the hopes of getting a credit card with them next year. my dad is former air force, but not a usaa member. i was playing around with the credit cards, seeing what i was eligible for, and it keeps asking since i have familiy military history, to enter my dad's info to see if i was eligible. i think i tried every single card, but it said i was not eligible for any of them. for partial members, is this the norm, or do i have to call a representative to apply? i really didnt need another savings account, i have one through my cu, but i wanted a military type bank with some hope of being eventually approved for a card. if im not eligible for any of the card, how do partial members get them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Cranski
Valued Member

Re: how do people get a usaa credit card?

@jsucool76 wrote:

Well, one thing I know is that as long as you're a partial member, whether you bank with them or not, you'll never get any offers under your "My offers" page, so I don't know if banking with them comes into consideration when you apply for a card. 

Edit: You can apply as a non member for cc's. They are highly more lenient on full members.

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 2 of 6
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Edit: You can apply as a non member for cc's. They are highly more lenient on full members.

+1.

I'm a non-member and I received my highest CL w/ USAA.

Message 3 of 6
awal
Regular Contributor

How does one tell if they are a full USAA member? I got in via my wife - her parents are retired military.

Is there somewhere online I can look, I'd rather not call to find out...

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 4 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@awal wrote:

How does one tell if they are a full USAA member? I got in via my wife - her parents are retired military.

Is there somewhere online I can look, I'd rather not call to find out...

If you can get insurance with them, than you are a full member

Message 5 of 6
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

MY father was military and I signed up as a limited member.  He passed, but ten years later I want full member access!  If I knew then, what I know now!  If there is a backdoor way in, PM me :-D  I want their AMEX!

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.