Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

how does FICO score work for married couples ?

I ran across this article on myFico. 

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Senior Contributor

Re: how does FICO score work for married couples ?

runlevel0 wrote:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Do you mean adding her as an AU? (authorized user)  Depending on the card issuer, they may or may not report this card on her reports.  If they DO report, this will affect you both.

If you open a new card as joint users/owners...this will report for & affect the both of you.  *the good and the bad.

Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 07/2015 TU 730 - EQ 699 - EX 724
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 08.09.15

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

Frequent Contributor

runlevel0 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

same thing different name Smiley Happy the big difference in a joint account and adding AU is alot of time both report . But say something happens and you cant pay the payments it goes into collections .. an AU can dispute the info on the CR and have it removed and a Joint account both CR's take the hit . 

Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 761 From 12/11/2013
Goal Score: 800

runlevel0 wrote:

Thanks

Yes it can help her IF the account is older than any of hers, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. She will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south her credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

Super Contributor

One thing for sure, each of you all FICO scores won't ever marry.  Smiley Very Happy  Just a little humor. 
Moderator Emerita

Just make sure that you aren't listed as joint account holders, where each of you are equally responsible for the card, no matter what.

AU (authorized user) is fine.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.