runlevel0

how does FICO score work for married couples ?

I ran across this article on myFico. 

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Re: how does FICO score work for married couples ?

runlevel0 wrote:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Do you mean adding her as an AU? (authorized user)  Depending on the card issuer, they may or may not report this card on her reports.  If they DO report, this will affect you both.

If you open a new card as joint users/owners...this will report for & affect the both of you.  *the good and the bad.

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

runlevel0

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

Frequent Contributor
Woolfman

runlevel0 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

same thing different name :smileyhappy: the big difference in a joint account and adding AU is alot of time both report . But say something happens and you cant pay the payments it goes into collections .. an AU can dispute the info on the CR and have it removed and a Joint account both CR's take the hit . 

Starting Score: 680
Current Score: 761 From 12/11/2013
Goal Score: 800

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

runlevel0 wrote:

Thanks

Yes it can help her IF the account is older than any of hers, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. She will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south her credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

Super Contributor
DI

One thing for sure, each of you all FICO scores won't ever marry.  :smileyvery-happy:  Just a little humor. 
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Just make sure that you aren't listed as joint account holders, where each of you are equally responsible for the card, no matter what.

AU (authorized user) is fine.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}