cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does the utilization work on a platinum Amex charge card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how does the utilization work on a platinum Amex charge card?

I have had a high limit of 6500 reported but since I generally pay it off before it reports, should I let it run a higher balance to show that I control my spending? (I usually run it up to about 11-12k and pay it before it reports) I was wondering if it would help my utilization in long run if they use the high balance as the limit... even if it shows a short term hit on my credit... 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: how does the utilization work on a platinum Amex charge card?

Amex charge has no affect on utilization.  I never have paid before statement date.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay my bills straight after the bill arrives. I do PIF for my discover before statement date due to the low limit.

They Amex Platinum card doesn't effect your utilization.
Message 3 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I pay my bills straight after the bill arrives. I do PIF for my discover before statement date due to the low limit.

They Amex Platinum card doesn't effect your utilization.

Charge Cards are considered "open" accounts and they dont have an effect on utilization on the newer versions of FICO scoring, but I think on the older FICO version it might be considered a "credit card"

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 6
taxi818
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Amex charge has no affect on utilization.  I never have paid before statement date.

Well the card itself has not affect on the cards utlization since it is open. But if you let a balance Report. it will have affect on your overall utilization.

Example. I have 3 cards. and i have seen this on my report myself. So it is not hypothetical.

Card #1 5k with a 0 balance.

Card #2 5k with a 0 balance.

Amex Charge with reported of $3500 balance .

In fact my usage would be over 30% on my Report because of the balance on the Charge Card. without any doubt. Best to just PIF before closing date on the amex card and not wait for that extra 2 week suggested date.

Message 5 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Well the card itself has not affect on the cards utlization since it is open. But if you let a balance Report. it will have affect on your overall utilization.

Example. I have 3 cards. and i have seen this on my report myself. So it is not hypothetical.

Card #1 5k with a 0 balance.

Card #2 5k with a 0 balance.

Amex Charge with reported of $3500 balance .

In fact my usage would be over 30% on my Report because of the balance on the Charge Card. without any doubt. Best to just PIF before closing date on the amex card and not wait for that extra 2 week suggested date.

That is incorrect, IMO.

Your utilization would be $0.  0/$10,000 is zero not $3,500/$10,000

I had over $5,000 on mine last month and it didn't go against my utilization of my other cards and this month is only a little over $1,000 and it will be the same result.  I always had it cut and never had an effect on my util.  Scores seem flat last two months.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.