Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long should i wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long should i wait?

i recently got limit increase on my Bank of America and Discover More cards (about 45 days ago).  i recieved the Discover credit increase automatically ($4,000 to $5,200) at 6 months and i asked for my bank of america increase ($3,000 to $4,000).  Both came pretty easily and without hassle so i'm thinking this could increase again but i'm wondering how long i should wait to ask again.  should i wait 90 days? or should i wait another 180 days? I'm at about 29% utilization so another increase would significantly bring that down and improve my scores.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Re: how long should i wait?

From what I've seen on these forums - wait 6-12 months, get your util under 10%, and then ask for a CLI and/or APR reduction.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 2 of 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I would wait until at least 90 days after the Dow reaches 9000.  The credit crunch should be over by then  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Bring your util down the real way (by paying it down), and then ask for a CLI.

Banks aren't thrilled about extending additional credit to those who aren't significantly paying down/ off their current debt.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.