cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long to wait to reapply?(AMEX)

tag
ajumbaje

how long to wait to reapply?(AMEX)

I recently applied for a blue cash everyday and a green charge card and got denied for both. I have applied to a couple other cards since the start of the year, so I have some recent hard inquiries on my report. 

My question is how long should I wait before I reapply for an amex? 6 months? 1 year? I'm looking at the delta one for travel rewards(or if you think I have a better chance at another card, that). I am also hoping to have a new job that pays more so I can feel comfortable forking over an annual fee.

I established credit last february with a secured card from wells fargo and I recently was approved for a discover it and usaa platinum visa. I am also hoping that I graduate from the secured card, but plan to cancel it whenever I get an amex and stick with three cards in all. That and I am moving away from wf altogether.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: how long to wait to reapply?(AMEX)

I would recommend you give it another 6 months before trying again.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 11
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

What does your file look like? Inqs, baddies, scores...etc?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 11
ajumbaje

I think I have a total of nine hard inquiries total since feb 2012, 5 or six since the new year. No baddies. Amex declined me, score on experian was 722 though.

Message 4 of 11
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@ajumbaje wrote:

I think I have a total of nine hard inquiries total since feb 2012, 5 or six since the new year. No baddies. Amex declined me, score on experian was 722 though.

This does not look like declinable info. I could see them getting a little weary of 5-6 inqs in the last month. What did it say on the letter? When do those other 3 inqs come off?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

@ajumbaje wrote:

no baddies 722 seems kinda low for no baddies what was your debt / credit ratio? average age of accounts?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 11
ajumbaje

well i just opened a discover line and a usaa line. The secured card had a 400$ limit so utilization is high. Discover has a 1k limit and I am about to make my first payment. Usaa has a 4k payment and I have yet to receive it in the mail. Utilization will definitely drop.

also applied for(and declined):

blue cash everyday

green charge card

capone venture

chase amazon

all since january.

Message 7 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ajumbaje wrote:

well i just opened a discover line and a usaa line. The secured card had a 400$ limit so utilization is high. Discover has a 1k limit and I am about to make my first payment. Usaa has a 4k payment and I have yet to receive it in the mail. Utilization will definitely drop.

also applied for(and declined):

blue cash everyday

green charge card

capone venture

chase amazon

all since january.

Sorry, but you need to stop applying. These denials with HPs are not good at all. You are going to get denjed off the bat because of too much inquiries.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

What is your utilization, this maybe hindering you from getting approved. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

THIN File then?

Wait 3 months and apply for Green Charge... IF you get approved you can try for Delta, Blue whatever you want that is revolving but do Charge first and don't apply for others if denied Green.  Skip Capital One in future unless you don't mind the 3 pulls which you don't seem to, but make SURE they are offering you something,... no offer... no apply!

Did you try to recon the Chase Amazon? I would now if it's been within 30 days, they can be okay about recon sometimes, and Amazon seems to be talked about as an easier in a few times in past.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.