Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many cards needed to raise score?

tag
c3troop
New Contributor

how many cards needed to raise score?

My wife currently has a 700 credit score. She is an authorized on my amex with a back date of 6 years and has a freedom not quite a year old. No other credit cards and the only loan is our mortgage. What's the best way to bolster her score?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: how many cards needed to raise score?

In the short term, a 3rd card will drop her score (both from Inq and lower AAoA), but these drops are fairly short lived. In the long run, most people get a bump from 3 vs 2 cards. The other thing would be to let a 5-9% balance post on her statement, then pif. Most people get a higher score posting a small balance on one card vs zero balance on all cards.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Get her an Amex and some other card as well for longer term goodness.  Two Amex's even.

AU/AC's aren't counted the same way in all cases so it's better for her to have her own tradelines for everything beyond a simple FICO pull.

        
Message 3 of 5
c3troop
New Contributor

Ok so even though she is an authorized on my account I should get her her own? I does not know that. What are some good cards for her with her score? She is an authorized on my bce and had a freedom
Message 4 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@c3troop wrote:
Ok so even though she is an authorized on my account I should get her her own? I does not know that. What are some good cards for her with her score? She is an authorized on my bce and had a freedom

A 3rd card will help just a little, so I suggest she only get a CC that would be useful.    If she is regualr customer of a store that has a CC or cobranded CC (better yet) that would be a good choice since rewards and discounts are often generous.     Don't get a CC just to have one.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.