Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much of a score drop for new accounts

tag
ppiresny
Contributor

how much of a score drop for new accounts

recently added 5 new accounts, only 1 reported so far the gap card and my score went from 694 to 678. I know it will go up higher eventually with good use of these cards and my credit limit has gone up about 8x. How much of a drop should i expect?

TU 708 EQ 690 EX 708(FCR)

Portfolio
Amex Zync NPSL,Amex Blue Cash Everyday $2700,Barclaycard iTunes rewards $2500,Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000,GAP Visa $1250,Express Store card $750,Dell Preferred Account $1500,Discover More $3000,Citi Diamond Preferred $9000,Chase Freedom $1500,Wells Fargo Auto Loan $19,000 @ 11%
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: how much of a score drop for new accounts

Adding a lot of new accounts at once will kill your average age of accounts ( AAoA ), how much depends on the number of accounts currently on your report    What was your AAoA prior to the app spree ??

It's impossible to know how much your score will drop, but a lower AAoA will cost you some points.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Calculate where your old aaoa vs new aaoa. New cards = ding from new account, ding from inquiry, ding from lower aaoa, bonus from lowered util (if applicable). First two dings, the effects are gone in a year and mostly gone in 6 months. Aaoa ding stays with you.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lot of factors to take into account and it is difficult to estimate.  If you play with the fico score simulator you will notice that your score can go up as well as down.  How is your util affected, AAoAs, etc...  I added 4 cards recently, I started at over 700 (708-718 range), now I am at 688 due to inqs and changing balances... I am estimating that I will be in the 640-650 range by the time all 4 cards are on my reports.  Adding a lot of new cards can quickly smack down your score!

Message 4 of 10
ppiresny
Contributor

utilization at 5% when i applied for these cards.

aaoa 3.1 yrs and loa 5.9yrs

i understand my score will drop and not too worried since i got my auto loan and also all the cards that i need for a long time. is it safe to assume after 6 months-1 year of responsible use of these cards my score will increase and quite possibly surpass my previous scores of 708 694 and 708?

Portfolio
Amex Zync NPSL,Amex Blue Cash Everyday $2700,Barclaycard iTunes rewards $2500,Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000,GAP Visa $1250,Express Store card $750,Dell Preferred Account $1500,Discover More $3000,Citi Diamond Preferred $9000,Chase Freedom $1500,Wells Fargo Auto Loan $19,000 @ 11%
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With no negatives and low util, it is a safe bet that your score will be 720+ in a year (with no more inqs)

Message 6 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

What was old aaoa cs new aaoa?
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@ppiresny wrote:

utilization at 5% when i applied for these cards.

aaoa 3.1 yrs and loa 5.9yrs

i understand my score will drop and not too worried since i got my auto loan and also all the cards that i need for a long time. is it safe to assume after 6 months-1 year of responsible use of these cards my score will increase and quite possibly surpass my previous scores of 708 694 and 708?

If your AAOA is just over 3 yrs, the new accts will drop you down to under 3 yrs. If they drop you down to under 2 yrs depends on how many other accts you have, how old they are, etc. I've seen 3 cards drop my AAoA 1 year. So, you may end up under 2 yrs, which will mean a bigger drop in FICO. You'll just have to wait and see what happens.

If you add your new CCs into you AAoA calc, you may be able to tell if you'll end up above or below 2 yrs after all have reported.

ETA: The new CCs only help your util if it's high to begin with. Since your util is 5%, the new CLs won't really help your util -- at least it terms of your current FICO. They could help your future util, but won't counteract the drop from your AAoA w/FICO.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 10
ppiresny
Contributor

ok, that makes sense, its no big deal my score will recover, its not like my score went down for no reason, i got new credit and new tradelines and will be sure to keep them active and properly managed.

Portfolio
Message 9 of 10
ssp
Valued Member

5 new accts dropped my aaoa by 2 years and my score by 28 points. I'm in the garden for at least 18 mos. HTH Smiley Happy

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.