cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much open credit line is too much?

tag
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Re: how much open credit line is too much?

Credit capacity is definitely different than actual debt ... a mortgage lender once told me that her ears really go up if a person has > 2.5 times open TL's (capacity) than their annual salary, or > 30% CC debt.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 11 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

I have revolving credit lines that total about $76K, with income of about $110K.  I think I actually have too much available credit, as I only charge maybe $1500 a month and always PIF before the statement cuts (except for one account, for maximum scoring).  I do not need anywhere near what I have, but I know that it can look good to show that I am handling this CL responsibly, especially with the financial issues that my wife and I went through about three years ago.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was younger, one credit card was too much.  Now I think I would be happy with half my income in CL. 

Message 13 of 14
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I think this is a hard question to ask too much open credit for who?  If it is the borrower then that is a personal choice.  IMO my definition of to much would be if you started to get declined for credit cards based on too much available credit. 

My income is about 180k with 135k open credit between 5 cards not more than my annual salary but more than I feel I need.  So I might close one that I am not using much.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.