cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how often are your cards declined...

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: how often are your cards declined...

@Anonymous wrote:
Due to the merchant not calling in for verification? I completely understand not calling in when the store is busy but I've had it happen with my Amex card when I was the only one in the store.

Had it happen to me one time when trying to purchase a large amount of diesel fuel. Used my Amex PRG for the reward points. Amex put the transaction on hold due to possible fraud. I used the iPhone app,authorized the transaction as being legit, and the charge went through no problem.

I travel a good bit for work. I know if I don't call my credit union and notify them of where I'll be using my debit card I won't be able to access ATMs at all.

Message 11 of 41
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Ive had it happen once, and with my AMEX. When I moved cross country and attempted to make my first purchase after changing my billing address, the sales person asked for my ID and credit card and called AMEX to verify everything.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 12 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several times, don't keep track. Usually happens during a mundane purchase (food, bookstore, etc.) right after some heavy spending. The latest was a week ago when the clerk loudly announced "Don't have enough funds?" while flamboyantly ripping the register tape to show me the bold "Declined" message. At that exact moment I got a fraud text from Citi, replied with an "it's ok, it's me" message and I had him re-swipe the card. I used to work fraud for a big issuer so I know what goes on inernally so I don't get upset; what gets me upset is when ignorant clerks automatically assume you're broke or a bad credit risk. 

Message 13 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happens alot for me.  Usually because I put in the wrong zip code.

My US Airways got declined just days ago for "3D secured card required".  At first I didn't understand wth this "3d secured" mumbo jumbo  was until it dawned on me.  

Whoa... really?  Switched to EMV Venture card and no problemo.

I suppose that whole chip thing really is going to happen.

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only issue I have ever had was with an online purchase on one of my Capital One cards. I was trying to buy parts for my vacuum to repair it, they declined, I called and stated it was me. Tried again and declined and fraud alert again. I called again, the second time the lady stated they found it odd as I had never bought cleaning supplies before. The third time I just used a different card.

Message 15 of 41
jrrsmith18
Contributor

Getting declined charges....often. Is it usual for Amex to often decline charges for fraud on new accounts? Had this happen 3 times 3 days in a row.
Message 16 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jrrsmith18 wrote:
Getting declined charges....often. Is it usual for Amex to often decline charges for fraud on new accounts? Had this happen 3 times 3 days in a row.

That is excessive.  Have you talked to them to find out why it's happening?  Not unusual for it to happen once with a new account but 3 times is absurd.

Message 17 of 41
Involver
Valued Contributor

I had a large office store charge declined for fraud by Chase but a quick phone call ensured it was sorted and the issue has never happened again.

Message 18 of 41
jrrsmith18
Contributor

They say cause I opened two charge cards simultaneously, never happened to my PRG but 3x on my platinum. Finally stopped after they called me instead of me calling them.
Message 19 of 41
jim44
Established Contributor

Your reply reminds me of a situation that happened to me thousands of years ago when I worked for the local tax collector.  A young professional came in the office minutes before closing to pay his property taxes.  He was yapping on a cell phone the size of a kleenex box and never missed any part of his conversation until the moment when his Discover card was declined.  Those were the days when you swiped cards and once in a great while the message would appear... Call the Service Center   The customer kept telling me to swipe his card again... He finally called Discover on his way out screaming that his time was worth too much to be arging with their service center!. 

Anyone remember other messages like "Retain Card" or Cut up Card.  I did that a few times in front of the customer under the risk of bodily injury!!! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.