cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how often does a "must-have" credit card get thought up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how often does a "must-have" credit card get thought up?

how often do credit card line up shake ups occur?

i plan on gardening for a while. currently up to 72k in revolving credit with around 4-5k in util (mostly on 0% BT and some on cards that will be pif)

i pretty much have my cards set up the way i would like (freedom, discover it, penfed plat rewards, citi forward, fidelity amex) to cover most of my expenses at the highest return rate possible

here's the thing, i'm really considering the bcp and cash+ but i'm wondering if it'll be worth it. how often does a really must-have card get released? should i save my inq on the bcp and cash+?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: how often does a "must-have" credit card get thought up?

I think Cash+ is a worth while card. No AF, so when it is not in use you are not being charge for it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I think Cash+ is a worth while card. No AF, so when it is not in use you are not being charge for it.

^ this, and besides you seem to have a ton of cards already with good balances, personally I think getting too many cards are too much of a headache to manage. Depends on your income and budget etc.

Somethings over lap sometimes. what cards do you have atm? of course things are based off of what you have already would be what's recommended Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 16
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Looking at the past decade or so, I'd say a truly ground-breaking card only comes around every few years or so. To qualify for this category they can't simply improve slightly on existing cards, but instead they need to offer something new, innovative, and truly functional.

1. Amex Starwood - traditionally the benchmark for travel cards. Versatility for both hotel points and airline miles, low AF and Amex customer service.

2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - similar to MR or SPG, but with arguably the best shopping portal, CSRs that don't require automated prompts to access, and combinable with the trifecta. Also the metal card definitely helps its popularity.

3. U.S. Bank Cash+   No AF Cash back card where people can select their categories. Completely different to cards like the Freedom where you are subjected to rotating quarterly categories that aren't in your control.

4. Amex Platinum - Old but among the most functional high-end travel cards for non UA fliers. Benefits are self-explanatory.

5. Amex BCE/BCP - Huge cash-back bonuses in the most popular everyday categories.

Any other cards that people see as groundbreaking?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Looking at the past decade or so, I'd say a truly ground-breaking card only comes around every few years or so. To qualify for this category they can't simply improve slightly on existing cards, but instead they need to offer something new, innovative, and truly functional.

1. Amex Starwood - traditionally the benchmark for travel cards. Versatility for both hotel points and airline miles, low AF and Amex customer service.

2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - similar to MR or SPG, but with arguably the best shopping portal, CSRs that don't require automated prompts to access, and combinable with the trifecta. Also the metal card definitely helps its popularity.

3. U.S. Bank Cash+   No AF Cash back card where people can select their categories. Completely different to cards like the Freedom where you are subjected to rotating quarterly categories that aren't in your control.

4. Amex Platinum - Old but among the most functional high-end travel cards for non UA fliers. Benefits are self-explanatory.

5. Amex BCE/BCP - Huge cash-back bonuses in the most popular everyday categories.

People never talk about the US Bank Flexperks signature. To me it is a very good card and was one of my first credit cards.

It offers 2% on all purchases with some bonus categories. Add in a checking package and the rewards are even higher, it then becomes 3% on all categories.

The only problem is that to get this high of return you much purchase airline tickets at the right price point.

Oh and also, $25 incidentals credit on reward tickets.

AF waived with $2k spend per month.

The card comes with a large sign up bonus. It was like 35k points during the Olympics, but is now down to 17.5k points with referral and $2500 spend. So after the $2500 spend the card holder has $20k points or enough for a $400 airline ticket and $25 incidentals credit.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I think you have to add the Trifecta group as a total for Sapphire, since 6months out of the year you get more than 6 points with points transfered from freedom to sapphire. Also 10 points for checking. for travel anyways, and Chase mall is amazing on NOV 28th they have 10% off at Apple Store which is nice =) best parts are taking extra 10 points per $1 spent on things like restaurant.com at good local restaurants when your already getting $50 gift certificate for $25 lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 16
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

People never talk about the US Bank Flexperks signature. To me it is a very good card and was one of my first credit cards.

It offers 2% on all purchases with some bonus categories. Add in a checking package and the rewards are even higher, it then becomes 3% on all categories.

The only problem is that to get this high of return you much purchase airline tickets at the right price point.

Oh and also, $25 incidentals credit on reward tickets.

AF waived with $2k spend per month.

The card comes with a large sign up bonus. It was like 35k points during the Olympics, but is now down to 17.5k points with referral and $2500 spend. So after the $2500 spend the card holder has $20k points or enough for a $400 airline ticket and $25 incidentals credit.

The issue with that card is it still has a forex fee associated with it. Why have EMV built-in if you're going to slap cardholders with forex every single time they use it overseas?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 16
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

if you won't be applying for any big loans (e.g. car or home) then by all means go ahead and apply for those cards. I got declined for both (received cash rewards from US bank instead though) and will probably app for them about one year from now (since I already did a large app spree this past summer.

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Once your reports are clean, you really don't need to worry about a couple inquiries here and there. A card doesn't need to be that groundbreaking to add to your lineup especially if they are offering you $400-500+ in value for signing up.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Everytime you read an " I was approved for ----" thread

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.