cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how often does a "must-have" credit card get thought up?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: how often does a "must-have" credit card get thought up?

Judging by your HIGH credit lines...it could be possible to get denied from having too much revolving credit or get a toy/low limit. Will the BCP or the Cash + be replacing some current cards or just adding to the line up? Personally, it's impossible to manage a lot of credit cards. Even if you aren't in debt, it's a concern to worry about which creditor is threatening to close your card, which one you nee to use more, keeping up with the rewards...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 11 of 16
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Looking at the past decade or so, I'd say a truly ground-breaking card only comes around every few years or so. To qualify for this category they can't simply improve slightly on existing cards, but instead they need to offer something new, innovative, and truly functional.

1. Amex Starwood - traditionally the benchmark for travel cards. Versatility for both hotel points and airline miles, low AF and Amex customer service.

2. Chase Sapphire Preferred - similar to MR or SPG, but with arguably the best shopping portal, CSRs that don't require automated prompts to access, and combinable with the trifecta. Also the metal card definitely helps its popularity.

3. U.S. Bank Cash+   No AF Cash back card where people can select their categories. Completely different to cards like the Freedom where you are subjected to rotating quarterly categories that aren't in your control.

4. Amex Platinum - Old but among the most functional high-end travel cards for non UA fliers. Benefits are self-explanatory.

5. Amex BCE/BCP - Huge cash-back bonuses in the most popular everyday categories.

Any other cards that people see as groundbreaking?

If talking true groundbreaking cards, you have to include diners club (first credit card to generate frequent flyer miles) and original capital one mc (first card to offer a balance transfer and first to offer variable apr based on credit worthiness. more recently, might include the ba card for the 100k miles offer.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Plat for gas/groceries

Citi Forward for restaurants/Amazon

Chase Freedom (rotating 5%)

Discover It (rotating 5%)

Fidelity Amex (any purchase over $10)

Chase Slate

Diamond Preferred (around $3400 on it from BT)

some store cards

BCP would be for groceries obviously

Cash+ to fill in any gaps

Message 13 of 16
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Based on your travel habits, I'd throw either the AMEX and new CITI Hilton cards in the list of must haves... I very much like my Startwood card and agree that the card customer service is better, but I much prefer Hilton Hotels for regular and business level stays. Much better value per hotel per night.

The points pile up very quickly as well.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 14 of 16
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to put my two cents in for the Venture card.  I don't have one (yet) but apparently the 2X points on everything is pretty posh.  No black out dates on travel redemptions either.  It's Crap1 but still, I'd say for $59 a year, it pays for it self in rewards points.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 15 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Omaplatypus wrote:

I'd like to put my two cents in for the Venture card.  I don't have one (yet) but apparently the 2X points on everything is pretty posh.  No black out dates on travel redemptions either.  It's Crap1 but still, I'd say for $59 a year, it pays for it self in rewards points.

Avoid crap 1 like the plague...haha

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.