Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to be sure an au gets reported

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to be sure an au gets reported

Is there any way to make sure an au is going to be reported? They did not ask for ss# or any other information so how will they report?. Sis put me on four or five high limit , low balance cards, I was hopeful it would it would make a big difference but I have not seen any thing yet, how long does it take?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

Re: how to be sure an au gets reported

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any way to make sure an au is going to be reported? They did not ask for ss# or any other information so how will they report?. Sis put me on four or five high limit , low balance cards, I was hopeful it would it would make a big difference but I have not seen any thing yet, how long does it take?

They have a magical way of matching you up, usually by matching your current or previous addresses.  Even if you don't currently live with your sister, you most likely shared an address at one point in your life that is public record.

She can also call the credit card companies and supply your SS# to be more certain that the match is made.  I know Citibank is an example of bank that doesn't ask for anything other than the name when you request an AU, but if you call customer service, they'll be glad to add the SS#.  This is especially useful if you have a very common name such as John or Mary Smith.

Message 2 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

farmerdi wrote:

Which bank and which card is it? Not all AU cards report.

PenFed AU does not report; Gap store card does not.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I did not know you could do this... So, my sister lets me use her Discover Card, but she always has to be with me if I need it ini a store. I pay it off and have access to her online account. She has excellent credit.

So, can she add me or would it hurt her credit? it would be great to have that on my report. Does anyone know what I should do or if Discover even reports an AU???

Thanks, Liz

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, can they deny me as an AU?
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yes, Discover reports me as an AU on DH's card. It lives in my sock drawer, and I never use it, because I only have it for the history, which I'm short on. A shame, too, because it's a beautiful card! Monet's "Nymphaea" (water lilies.)

The cardholder --your sister, in your case --has to request that you be added. Interestingly, many people report that they didn't have to supply the AU applicant's SSN; somehow the bank knows where to assign the report. Creepy.

I know that AmEx checks something or other on AU's --maybe if they've burned Amex in the past? But I don't think that I remember anyone reporting that they were denied.

Unless it's a husband and wife/ household partners thing, where they're using a card as part of their financial planning, IMO the AU should never use the card. It's kind enough of the cardholder to allow you access to the history or CL or extra tradeline, whatever the reason is. They shouldn't have to worry about charges suddenly appearing on their account, even if the AU promises to pay.

And don't forget, if the cardholder likes to use the card a lot and only pay when the statement posts, it will show high util on both reports, including the AU's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

My youngest daughter has the same address as me as far as the IRS is concerned. My two other children do not. It did not seem to matter how many times I tried to make my children who don't share my address AU on my Chase BofA Citi and Walmart cards. They weren't picked up on any of the CRA reports.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all of you for info on this, if any of you have any specifics please continue to contribute. To be honest I have only looked at each card once, to fill up the tank with gas with each card one time, this was just to activate. We then put them in HER undie drawer for safe keeping. No way , no how I want the responsibility of harming her credit. You are so right, she has worked hard for her 800+ and I will not hurt that.She just wants to share her good fortune and help us out. It has been almost a month and nothing has shown up. She lives in Florida and I live in OHio but I have been wintering in Florida to help with my Mom in law, so I gave cra my florida address with sis also, hope this is good enough.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.