Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get amex card

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: how to get amex card

Yep. Great thing about Amex is once you're in with them, they can be very generous. They want to be your favorite issuer.
Message 11 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

I would get all those cards to zero except one and let that report a balance of less than 9% in order to boost your score the most and just garden for two reporting cycles. You should get a nice boost from that to get you into prime lending territory. I believe it is the AZEO principle and there are numerous threads about it in the forums. 

I'm glad that AverageJoesCredit noticed the US Bank card. It reports to the bureaus differently than most cards. Most banks, such as Capital One, report the statement balance on the statement date. US Bank reports on the first of the month.

To achieve AZEO (all zero except one), all cards except one need to report a zero balance to the credit bureaus. Just before the statement cut date (or just before the first of the month in the case of US Bank), pay your balance down to zero and let the card sit until after the statement has cut.

On the card that reports a small positive balance, pay it down if necessary, but don't pay to zero. Note that you don't have to pay interest to do this. Your statement balance should come from charges made during the current statement period.

Most people don't have to do AZEO all the time. Generally, it's something that's done before applying for important credit, especially a mortgage. However, if your scores are on the low end, it's probably desirable to try to maintain AZEO as much as possible.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep if I don't maintain AZEO my scores can drop up to 40 points, depending on individual and aggregate utilization.

In September due to Irma and being trapped on a boat without strong 4G signal, 3 of my cards posted balances I would have PIF'd if I had signal.  My scores dropped 40-45 points across the board and are only now recovering due to the new statements being cut.

40 points at my level is SERIOUS.

I'll actually have 3-4 days this month with 0% utilization across the board because Discover decided my card was a security risk, issued me a new card and my credit reports deleted the old account ($120 balance) and put a new account up with $0 balance.  Discover reports last of all my cards so 10/11-10/16 will have no cards with a balance.  Will be interesting to see how much my scores drop from that.

Message 13 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep if I don't maintain AZEO my scores can drop up to 40 points, depending on individual and aggregate utilization.

That sounds like the difference between AZEO and a pretty significant deviation from it. A small utilization uptick or a second card reporting a positive balance would likely result in a small ding.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I read your TU score as your EX score. Get EX up to 640 and you're probably good for a charge and Delta. Obviously the higher the better though. Closer to 700 will get you a higher SL, which using the 3X CLI can really make a difference.

Message 15 of 16
MT936
Established Contributor

I would garden until you are in the 700 range and when applying make sure you are under 10% total utilization. Gardening will raise your score as well as lower your auto loan debt and overall debt which I suspect you will be paying off while gardening. I think 700+ gives you the best chance to get your amex. Good luck

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.