cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get high initial CL, one high limit or high avg limit

tag
CuriousScore

how to get high initial CL, one high limit or high avg limit

I was doing credit cards shopping for the past 2 month. I got Chase Ink Cash Business with $5000 initial CL and just got approved for CITI dimond for $2000 initial CL. 

The difference between my initial CL got me thinking. What is the factor that determines your initial CL? 

For example, I own a Amex Blue Cash for 2 years and have a limit of $5000, which is the highest CL I own. My avg CL is about $2000. When I got my Chase ink cash for $5000 limits, I thought the lowest initial limit would be $5000 if I apply for any credit cards again.

I was kinda surprised when CITI only offer me only $2000 and denied my CLI right after the approval. I call recon and been told that I should try few month later becase they need to know how I would behave on my 1st CITI card. 

Any tips on how to get a larger initial CL?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Bman70
Established Contributor

Re: how to get high initial CL, one high limit or high avg limit

They don't necessarily match your existing limits. Although I'm convinced BofA and Cap1 have been competing to be my highest limit for the last several years, with their auto CLIs. If some time passed between the Chase Ink and the CITI apps, CITI could have given you lower because of your recently opened credit lines, making them think you were needing credit too fast. So in that case it might be best to app at the same time, instead of waiting between. But I'm just speculating based on my reading here. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 2 of 7
CuriousScore

I agree with you. I waited 2 weeks to apply for CITI after I got approved for Chase Ink Cash. 

Message 3 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

It honestly varies from lender to lender and from profile to profile.  AMEX is happy to give me LUV, but Cap One is like pulling teeth.  Even with a lender, their products vary.  JCP gives me LUV, but Amazon refuses (both backed by GECRB).  

Generally speaking, a good income and a good file lead to larger CLs, but again, it varies.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. you have had amex blue for 2 years, when is your last CLI with them? ask for 3x your current line or $15k if it's been at least 6 months! that's how you get higher.

2. consider a chase personal card too... now that you have a business card, your internal score with them is probably good.

3. same goes for an amex business card since you have blue for so long, your internal score with them is probably higher.

Message 5 of 7
CuriousScore

I requested a CLI to $3200 with Amex in October 2013 and got a auto CLI (soft pull) to $5000 2 month ago. 

I heard there is a "internal score" or internal evaluation within the credit card companies, but is it Really True that if you have a good relationship with credit card companies and they will give you a better initial CL?

Message 6 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes.
If you got auto cli with Amex, I think you should request one
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.