cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

Frequent Contributor

how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

So, I've called today to see if American Express would report a limit on my Zync card and the CSR said to add an additional card under my name and set a spending limit and that the report would just show this as an additional card under one account. Has anyone every tried this? Or should I just app for a credit card so I can get a higher spending limit to report?

 

He said it would be similar to adding an AU but just adding yourself and having an additional card. The only thing i don't understand is what does this do to my AAoA and is it an inquiry?

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

Charge cards are supposed to have no preset spending limit therefore do not report a limit.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 10
Senior Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

Yes, charge cards are NPSL and don't report a limit.  I think that's sort of the point of the OPs question.  Is there a way to get it to report a limit?

 


aamex wrote:

He said it would be similar to adding an AU but just adding yourself and having an additional card. The only thing i don't understand is what does this do to my AAoA and is it an inquiry?


I've never heard of doing this.  I know you can add a limit to an AU card, but I don't know if that limit reports if you do.  My wife is an AU on my PR Gold, but I haven't set a limit for her (despite the temptation Smiley Wink).

 

I would find it odd that you can add yourself as an AU and have the account report as a second tradeline.  But if you can, I can see this becoming a new favorite trick for all of those Amex backdaters.  Turning one 20 year old TL into two or three would be a nice boost to AAoA. 

 

So assuming you can add yourself, and that it will report as a second tradeline to your CR, how would it effect AAoA?  I assume it would be like adding another account that is identical to the first.  If your Amex is one of your older tradelines, it will improve your AAoA.  If it is younger than your AAoA, it will bring it down. 

 

I don't see why it would be an inquiry.  There's no inquiry associated with adding an AU when it is someone else. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..


Walt_K wrote:

Yes, charge cards are NPSL and don't report a limit.  I think that's sort of the point of the OPs question.  Is there a way to get it to report a limit?

 


aamex wrote:

He said it would be similar to adding an AU but just adding yourself and having an additional card. The only thing i don't understand is what does this do to my AAoA and is it an inquiry?


I've never heard of doing this.  I know you can add a limit to an AU card, but I don't know if that limit reports if you do.  My wife is an AU on my PR Gold, but I haven't set a limit for her (despite the temptation Smiley Wink).

 

I would find it odd that you can add yourself as an AU and have the account report as a second tradeline.  But if you can, I can see this becoming a new favorite trick for all of those Amex backdaters.  Turning one 20 year old TL into two or three would be a nice boost to AAoA. 

 

So assuming you can add yourself, and that it will report as a second tradeline to your CR, how would it effect AAoA?  I assume it would be like adding another account that is identical to the first.  If your Amex is one of your older tradelines, it will improve your AAoA.  If it is younger than your AAoA, it will bring it down. 

 

I don't see why it would be an inquiry.  There's no inquiry associated with adding an AU when it is someone else. 


Yes, that is exactly my question. I suppose its similar to just getting an additional card on the same account. Which is a nice trick because theres no hard pull and you could set the limit which is ultimately your spending limit... I may give this a try. I was going to app for a TE Costco, but why take the hard hit if I can just create my own CL Smiley Wink

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 4 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

I think the idea of having no credit limits is being blown out of proportion. If you are looking for a spending limit on your Zync card to keep yourselves from spending too much that's cool. But having a credit limit reported on credit reports is not necessary. Sure some lenders use older FICO scoring models which counts balances from NPSL as part of the utilization. Some lenders use newer FICO scoring model which does not count balance from NPSL. Which model they are using? That's up to them to decide.

Message 5 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

Will I get FR setting myself as AU on my own zync with $19,900 limit?
Message 6 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..


dookdig wrote:
Will I get FR setting myself as AU on my own zync with $19,900 limit?

I would set the limit as the highest balance you've ever carried if you're trying to do it with ease.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 7 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

I will be a guinea pig testing if it works.
Message 8 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..


dookdig wrote:
I will be a guinea pig testing if it works.


yesss!!! Smiley Happy keep us posted.. I really want to do this.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to report limit on AMEX charge card..

I think I need to wait for a month or two because amex usually take very long time to update to credit bereaus.
Message 10 of 10